News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Door weather seal adhesive

Started by Limey57, 2014-11-21 03:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey57

Anyone got any recommendations?  I've got a new set of seals from Macs and a tube of yellow 3M adhesive (see picture) but it's an impact adhesive which gives no scope to move the seals into the right place.  Also looking at the seals they look like they might need stretching a bit on installation and an impact adhesive doesn't allow this.  If the 3M stuff is the best to use I'll give it a go, but just wondered what you folks recommend.

Gary

1957 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

Gary...I assume there is no difference in the yellow vs. black, the black is what I used, and this is what I did....but first let me point out that Pat (suede57) is a 3M rep, so he may have some input if he sees this.
The 3M super... as you have  is the preferred adhesive from everything I've seen, including a video by steele rubber products. May be a difference in terms from across the pond, but you called it an inpact adhesive, which to me sounds like a pressure sensitive adhesive, and that's not the case, it is a contact adhesive which must have the adhesive applied to both surfaces.
I positioned the seal on the door first with no adhesive double checking positions like the moulded corners, etc. I then applied masking tape to the door on adjacent areas I didn't want adhesive on all the way around....using the seal as a guide. Following the instructions, I applied the adhesive to both surfaces. Make sure you pull off the masking tape after the adhesive has skinned, or you'll end up sticking the tape to the seal as well...not good, ask how I know. I don't remember if I did it all in one shot...I'm inclined to think I would have done it in sections. I do remember not appying the adhesive in the door lock areas for 1 1/2 or so where the clip slides in from the outside.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

We call that stuff "YELLOW DEATH".  Very, very good adhesive!  Just, if you put it on and do as the instructions say it is in place where you put the weather strip forever!  I do a couple of practice runs before applying the glue.  I also have the door off the car on a table for easy access to all areas.

I'm not sure you want anything else for those door seals.  They will take a lot of stress over the years and need to be glued down hard.  I use it and recommend you go with it.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Raven Rider

Gorilla Snot is what we call it and it sticks just like everyone says,  Try a test piece and put the Gorilla Snot on both pieces of the test pieces then let it skin over then place a clean piece of paper between the pieces and if you don't put very much pressure on the two test pieces I think you can adjust the top piece remove the paper a little at a time and stick it as you remove the paper (butcher paper would be the best).  Give thiis a try and let us know if it works I know it works on other contact cement not sure if it will with this stuff.

Limey57

Yep, we call contact adhesive "impact" where you coat both surfaces and let them dry before bringing them together on contact/impact.  The masking tape is a good idea as is doing it in sections (and leaving a strip with no glue near the lock clip).

I'll have a few practice runs first and maybe mask the area to be glues on the door so the adhesive stays under the seal only.  I'll give it a go this weekend, wish me luck!
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Raven Rider

lalessi1

Good luck as well. I will be doing this soon, thanks for the info!
Lynn

hiball3985

The #m is great stuff, I did the seals on my 1960 truck in 1975 and they are still on there..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Limey57

Thanks, I was going to start this today but the weather is cold and damp and everything in the garage is damp to the touch, not ideal for doing anything so I've got the heater on in there and hope to have a go tomorrow.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

hiball3985

Using adhesives in the damp and cold is always difficult. I find the wifes hair dryer does wonders to dry and warm things up when I can sneak it into the garage  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lowrider

The 3M yellow w/strip adhesive is the stuff I use. The only other stuff I've used that worked better was Synthetic Weatherstrip Adhesive (yellow)  from Ford which they discontinued years ago. They also offered a Rubber Cement (black) that worked well too. All that said they were both probably made by 3M. Maybe Pat can chime in on these.