News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Crankcase breather or PCV

Started by Fabulous50s, 2020-07-11 07:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabulous50s

I know most of you are running Y blocks with presumably the factory road draft tube. Would you recommend staying with the draft tube or have you noticed oil residue under the hood? My '59 FE has the draft tube and someone modified the oil fill cap with a hose that went somewhere? The fill cap has a crude filter in it, and I'd like to replace it. What is the purpose of this filter if the crankcase is vented open to the atmosphere at the back of the intake? Can I simply use a solid oil fill cap?
Taylor....north of ordinary!

59 Galaxie 500 Town Sedan, 352 2-speed Ford-O-Matic.. changing to 3+O/D Granada Toploader.

SkylinerRon

The road draft assembly has a filter and a oil drainback tube inside. It is a 2 piece assembly with a rubber gasket between the 2 parts.

A new filter and gasket and it works fine. Be careful it bends very easily. Get a new oil cap too, 55-56 T-Birds used a nice chrome one if you like shine.

Very little oil if your engine is sound.

Good luck,

Ron.

SkylinerRon

Your 59 may have the road draft tube that comes out of the valley cover instead of the crankcase style. If so you can make up a catch can to contain blowby.

Ron.

Fabulous50s

Yes, the draft tube comes out of the back of the intake. I bought a new aftermarket oil fill cap with a filter in it.

59 Galaxie 500 Town Sedan, 352 2-speed Ford-O-Matic.. changing to 3+O/D Granada Toploader.

geraldchainsaw

i've always wondered about the oil residue under the hood,  & where it came from,  now I have something else to check out,  thanks for bring it up

Fabulous50s

That is one gorgeous '57!

CobraJoe

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

KULTULZ

Quote from: Fabulous50s on 2020-07-11 07:44

My '59 FE has the draft tube and someone modified the oil fill cap with a hose that went somewhere? The fill cap has a crude filter in it, and I'd like to replace it. What is the purpose of this filter if the crankcase is vented open to the atmosphere at the back of the intake? Can I simply use a solid oil fill cap?

On the early FE, the oil fill cap is filtered and where fresh air is drawn into the engine by draft through the road draft tube at the rear of the engine to ventilate the crankcase.

If expelling fumes/oil from the filler tube cap, either the system is non-operative or has excess blow-by. The hose was an attempt to shoot the fumes under that car most likely, hindering the operation of the ROAD DRAFT SYSTEM.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

thomasso

Don't use a solid fill cap unless you have another system for air intake.  Personally I prefer clean air from the air cleaner as in most PCV systems.  Actually, install a PCV system and get rid of the drips and constant oil smell.  Also much better to have filtered air sucked into your crankcase as opposed to a breather cap.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

gasman826

Since smell was mentioned, I've be toying with the idea of adding a charcoal canister to vent the gas tank and carburetor.  It would make a noticeable difference when the car sits in the garage.

KULTULZ

Quote from: gasman826 on 2020-11-10 15:51

Since smell was mentioned, I've be toying with the idea of adding a charcoal canister to vent the gas tank and carburetor.  It would make a noticeable difference when the car sits in the garage.

This is doable. Study the FORD EVAP SYSTEM of the early seventies (1973- ) and you will get an idea of the first mechanical design. Also using a CLOSED PVC SYSTEM as mentioned) will rid the engine of obnoxious crankcase fumes after shutdown.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN