News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 Ford Country Sedan mocha silver V8 4dr wagon

Started by djfordmanjack, 2016-11-29 03:06

Previous topic - Next topic

hiball3985

JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

some good news here. Took the 57 for getting groceries downtown on Monday. even though it was nearly 90degrees, the temp gauge never moved over the 160 thermostat spot (that I marked while having an actual temp gauge in car). even in stop and go and at Drive In.
It also keeps the idle oil pressure just a tad higher because of lower oil temps. this looks promising.

mustang6984

Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

hiball3985

JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

My, how time flies bye !
It seems I just started driving it, and now season is all over again. I didn't take her to a single show this year (except for the one day rod run, which was mainly driving around)...all canceled for the bug. But I did drive occasionally and use it for getting groceries and such. Last Sunday afternoon took her out for a $5 dinner to the McDonalds Drive in...she is cheap :003:. That's it for this year. days are getting shorter and colder quickly so I 'll have the registration suspended for the next 5 months or so. I am turning in the plates today. See ya next year baby ! :002:

gasman826

Please explain the registration, plates, and 'turning in' process.  I have authentic plates (original year of manufacture plates) which are life-time registration with the state (only $35).  I usually remove the road coverage insurance during the storage period to save a few bucks.  I haven't removed road coverage so far this year because I am still moving cars around in my trailer.  Under my policy, the car needs road coverage when moved by truck or trailer.

hiball3985

Besides putting the car away for the winter I heard on the news ( and you know how reliable that is  :005:) that Austria was shutting down again because of the bug and making the vaccine mandatory?? Mine might be seeing less miles this winter too due to the price of fuel  :005:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

Gary and Jim, we have a somewhat different federal system on the plates, as none stay with the car. They always have to be turned in if a car is not registered. Now, my collector cars do stay registered, but there is a rule that permits suspending the road insurance for a maximum of 12 month, but we have to put the car papers and plates into storage at the insurance office. it also saves the taxes for that period. Before I get my (personalized) plates and papers back next spring I have to pay the taxes and insurance fees for next year ( which i get refunded some of it if I turn in the plates earlier). I know it sounds complicated, put is a good way to save money in our long winters. I think it is also only right, because we must only drive collector cars 120 days a year ( emission exempt). So at least now I only pay for ca 180 days and can drive 120. That s about fair. If I kept it registered all year I would have to pay the full 365 days and would still only be allowed to drive 120 days per year. Welcome to the old world of empires, kingdoms and other medieval forms of Continental living... :003:

Jim, unfortunately the news liars are right. we have shut down again. for at least 20 days they say. Personally speaking I am not affected, and not wanting to get too political, but a lot of things went very wrong. In summer they promised the pandemic to be over, and most people acted like that. when the virus hit back hard in fall , government waited too long and now they are blaming whoever comes up that day. There is a lot of dispute, and we will see what happens. Unfortunately our neighbor countries aren't off much better. Germany has it bad, and Slovakia and several others. They all thought it's over and now it's not. That is no surprise imho.

hiball3985

We have a similar system here in Calif were we can put a car on non op status but we don't turn in the plates or registration they just want the money  :005:. You can reactivate it at any time, more money.

The bug is spreading here too but I think they are too paranoid to shut it down again. Trying to make the vaccine mandatory has met with a lot of resistance and may cause many to lose jobs where they are requiring it, police, fire, city workers etc..

JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

Jim, while our registration suspending is a little complicated, I have to say, that it is a free service from the insurance office. They also notify the vehicle tax department, so the taxing also gets suspended for that certain period.

I think I pretty much know where you - Jim, and me stand on the mandatory vaccine shots. In order to keep this post forum friendly (hopefully) I will only say so much that it is a very rude political decision, that one wouldn't expect today ( maybe 80 years ago that was ok...) especially since the effects of that concept are highly dubious. I believe that there isn't a sole solution for the bug, it rather takes many different steps and methods working together, to get rid of it hopefully.
If this comment is offensive I will edit it.

hiball3985

We are fortunate in Calif, we don't have taxes, we just have FEEs :003: All the tax is on the gas  :005: Here is a sample of the new registration for my 66 Mustang and putting it on non op is $23, it use to be $15.
I better not make comments on the vaccine either
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

So it's that time of the year again when working outside gets nicer and the old workhorse has to come out the stable !  :003:
moving around my storage trailer which is filled to the top with 48 large and heavy 24x16" plastic crates with car parts, mostly 56 and 57Ford and VW stuff. Had to move it out from my shelter and behind the house.
It was a little challenging to get it around the corner, but all fun in the end. I need to reorganize my shelter as I may want to get out the Del Rio project car this or next season.

CobraJoe

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

djfordmanjack

Joe, how's your leg coming along ? I guess you still need some time to heal...?!

Its interesting how you are located south of me and Mass is oceanside and still your winter lasts longer than ours. Probably cold air and water coming down from the arctic. I always get the weather news from Jay as well.
Our weather has been moderate. like low 50s daytime and still freezing nighttime. We have had very little snow or rain this winter so everything looks like Az here. also we have had huge  amounts of Sahara dust that occasionally gets blown up from Africa, so everything looks yellow, somewhat. really looking forward to some rain and green in the garden !

RICH MUISE

Kinda the same here. 78 yesterday, today low 40's, windy, there was a chance of rain or snow, but as usual nothing. Sky is heavy smoke filled from a big brushfire just west of town. Very very dry here all winter, fires are gonna be bad.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe