News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

How to remove Vent Window Glass ???

Started by kens65fb, 2016-04-28 17:44

Previous topic - Next topic

kens65fb

The painter just chipped the newly installed vent window glass on my Ranchero.
The battery died, and he tried to jimmy the vent window open with a screwdriver, and chipped the glass.
How do you replace the vent window glass ?

lalessi1

My understanding is that it is "simply" pulled out of the frame. It is held in by "glass tape". I haven't removed mine but I plan on it. Not really looking forward to it. I am sure somebody will elaborate on the topic.
Lynn

Ray

my glass shop did mine but I have removed them by using a rag or towel to insulate the glass and binding it in a vice. pretty easy to get the glass out by light force at that point.

Also, just replaced my vent window glass. The new glass is tempered, not laminated. When I put the glass in the car 20 years ago it was laminated and is already deteriorating. I think I will like the new way.
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

RICH MUISE

You must have shaved door handles...sounds like time to add a hidden external jumper post.

It's pretty hard to get the glass out without damaging it, but in almost all cases, like your's, it doesn't matter because it's being pulled to be replaced.

More info than you probably want, but.....
when I pulled mine apart, I held the glass in a vise and tapped the frame off it with a wood block and hammer. The "seal" that was on the glass I am 95% convinced was a moulded seal just like on the rest of our glass. Dennis Carpenter says NO, the glass was set in with a liquid rubber/sealant, etc. That's why they don't make a seal for those. However, that type of assembly just doesn't make sense to me for a million car production item. Also, when I pulled off the seal, I noticed that the mould marks did not conform to the shape of the inside of the vent window frame, which it would if it was assembled as Dennis Carpenter says.
Doesn't matter anyway since no one makes the seal. I've honestly never heard of one being assembled with glass tape, but that's not to say it can't be done. The way I did mine, and others also who have posted, is the glass is set in place with a sealant/adhesive that will set up like rubber. I used several very small pieces of matboard to keep the glass centered in the frame. Just pushed them down below the edge of the frame and covered them up with the sealant. Let it sit overnight to cure, then trim with a razor blade. Just let it get messy, it's easier to clean up after curing than while wet.
I guess the question for you is, how do you remove the glass from the frame while it's still in the car. I'm guessing you probably do not want to disassemble the door, but that may be the safest way depending on how good the sealant is holding.. The recent replacement might be good or bad...depends on how well what ever they used is holding. The hinges on the vent windows are not that strong, are 60 years old, and to my knowledge not being reproduced, si all I can say is CAUTION should be the byword here...you don't want to expand your problem to finding a replacement frame.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

pepfalcon

i used glass setting tape on mine. pushed right in with 2 racheting cabinet clamps. trimmed off excess, done

BWhitmore

Glass tape is the common way to set 1950's vent window glass - Ford, GM, and Mopar.

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: pepfalcon on 2016-04-29 15:30
i used glass setting tape on mine. pushed right in with 2 racheting cabinet clamps. trimmed off excess, done

Yup, best and only way IMHO.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Partsman

Yes the correct way to install glass is with glass setting tape. I have replaced glass on 3 of my Fords and they all were installed with tape.  You can get glass tape from glass shop.  Also if you silicone or some other type of glue/sealer you will have serious time removing glass in the future.  The glass frame is not very sturdy and trying to pry the glass out is installed with sealer can bend the frame very easily.  Working for Ford dealers for many years many vent windows in pickups were glass tape installed.  At least through the 70's.

kens65fb

Thanks for the replies, but I was asking how to remove the glass.

BWhitmore

Rich's suggestion about holding the glass in a vice and tapping the frame off is a good way to remove the glass.  The only other way, especially if you do not want to remove the vent window from the door, and especially if the glass is already broken, is to try and break the glass (hopefully in big pieces). Once the big pieces are removed you can you a pair of pliers and screwdriver to remove what is left.  If you try breaking the glass, use gloves and a face shield. 

djfordmanjack

gripping in a vice and tapping off the frame with a mallet or copper hammer. before trying that soak the setting tape/rubber with WD40 or penetrating oil for some time. it'll come off easily. if reusing the rubber I clean it off thoroughly with brake cleaner. then I use a few drops of super glue to hold it in place on the new glass. when reinstalling the frame, cover all the frame channels and setting tape/rubber with plenty of brake cleaner and it will slip right on without any force needed. the brake cleaner eveporates within seconds and the glass is now held firmly . that's the way I assemble stubborn motorcycle grips, rubber pads or even shock absorber rubber eyelets. the brake cleaner makes it that slippery for just a few seconds. it doesn't damage rubber at all.

pepfalcon

i never use a hammer around glass. i take a cabinet clamp, {i use them a lot}, with rubber jaws, clamp the glass, and exert a pulling force on the bottom of the wing glass. the glass will slowly pull out of the frame