News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Ranchero Blue interior resto - paint and other items

Started by jhicks5, 2018-04-11 21:00

Previous topic - Next topic

jhicks5

Trying to restore our '57 Ranchero back to generally stock appearance.  Seeking guidance on various interior components and correct colors.  Original Trim code is AB – White Vinyl & Blue Embossed Vinyl or Blue French Stitch Vinyl. Exterior originally all white, but we are going Starmist Blue and White.  Interior trim books at 1957fords.com do not include Ranchero so no help there. 

I have interior samples from LeBaron Bonney and these appear to match 66B (Custom Ranchero) interiors I have seen. I think I will go this direction on soft trim.

It will be a driver not a show car, but still want it to look Ford factory correct, but with a few personal touches.  For example the steering column and steering wheel should be black I think, but I plan on painting them blue to match dash and other trim.

QUESTIONS

DASH AND TRIM PAINT - Pictures of weather worn Rancheros I have seen show a color close to Dresden Blue.  In another post related to a '57 custom (I think) SkylinerRon indicated that blue interior paint for '57 was - Duco # 90936  -  Ford # M-21-725D -  Ditzler # 11647 Lacquer w/flattener. Other have noted that interior colors were not same as exterior and often darker and metallic.  Any guidance on Ranchero blue interior paint and whether the same paint color was used as other Ford lines?

HEADLINER - existing headliner appears to be hideous after market stuff and not factory, so I'm not sure of original material.  Probably will go with white with black dot unless someone has better idea.

PAINT ON CHROME INSTRUMENT BEZELS (behind the lights, ignition, left and right air knobs). My observation is that color was often coordinated to interior color, and was satin or flat finish. Mine were gunmetal.  Perhaps top of the line cars (Fairlane 500) have color matched to interior while utility vehicle like the Ranchero used gunmetal?  Any guidance here?

SUN VISORS - I probably just will take what I can find, but what is factory correct?

CARPET - Did the 66B Custom Ranchero have rubber mat or carpet?  Probably no matter, as I intend to go with carpet anyway. Lebaron Bonney indicates they have no carpet for Ranchero.  Assume I could go with Custom 300 carpet.  Anyone know carpet match for the blue I am contemplating? 

If anyone has stock Ranchero blue interior photos I would love to see them.  I want to see correct color on tray behind seat, kick panels, metal skirt on side of seat, etc.
Thanks
Jim

Ray

I think the headliner should be perforated white. Dash paint definitely would have been flattened. Visors would be the cardboard type, single color as I recall. I am no expert on Rancheros, just my thoughts.
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

Lou

djfordmanjack

you might want to get in touch with SMS Auto fabrics.

https://smsautofabrics.com/pages/products

They will mail you a quote on prices and what they have for your trim code. I have found that they have very rare, even woven silver thread fabrics.
I think they have the embossed stearhead door panels.
I don't think any 57Ranchero had white vinyl headliner with black dots. Maybe they used the typical 57 straw type fabric cloth.
again, SMS will provide you with a specific sheet of paper that has little samples of your actual trim code on it. not a generic one, that has dozens of different samples.

Only the front rubber mat is available as a repro, but should easily do for the Ranchero.

Hoosier Hurricane

Jim:
You are already changing the exterior color from the data plate info, so in my opinion, it is your car, trim it however YOU want it.  I guarantee that 99% of the folks looking at will have no clue whether or not it matches the data plate, and the other 1% won't call you out on it.  IMHO.  Good luck.   John

RICH MUISE

I totally agree with John, but I will add if you are going to go with a fabric choice/style that limits your color selection, then pick the fabric FIRST. Paints can be had in millions of color variations, so the paint color can be mixed to flow well with the fabric color. Blues may be the worst if not color coordinated. A blue with a greenish tint is going to look horrible against a blue with purplish tint. etc, etc. We've all seen cars that have a beautiful paint color with an interior that was an afterthought. Looks like the owner was color blind. It's not hard to do as long as you do your selections in the right sequence and not box yourself in. lol, maybe would have been better said.........you won't paint yourself into a corner.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe