News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Sway bar

Started by 57chero, 2024-03-10 12:40

Previous topic - Next topic

57chero

I was afraid of that, looking at the picture its deceiving.

59meteor

Quote from: gasman826 on 2024-03-13 08:43Not to attempt to take anything away from the SW style sway bar...several owners have positive feedback.  But, there is more than one way to skin a cat.  I have installed many brands on many makes but have installed only ADDCOs on '57s.  I like the ADDCO because it installs in the original location, is lighter, is cheaper, is compact, is designed for '57s, and works great.  I don't road race but do have a tendency to a little spirted driving.  The ADDCO resists body roll very well.  In an effort to support the 'more is better' logic, in addition to the front ADDCO bar, I also installed an ADDCO bar on the rear of the Raunch Wagon.  Since the wagon was taller and heavier in rear, I thought the back side would need more control.  With both ADDCOs and QA1 adjustable shocks, the Raunch Wagon could take on most anyone in its class.  One caution on more control, be careful with what you wish for, with more control you may paid for it in loss of comfort.  That is, more control usually means less cushy ride.
Quote from: gasman826 on 2024-03-13 08:43Not to attempt to take anything away from the SW style sway bar...several owners have positive feedback.  But, there is more than one way to skin a cat.  I have installed many brands on many makes but have installed only ADDCOs on '57s.  I like the ADDCO because it installs in the original location, is lighter, is cheaper, is compact, is designed for '57s, and works great.  I don't road race but do have a tendency to a little spirted driving.  The ADDCO resists body roll very well.  In an effort to support the 'more is better' logic, in addition to the front ADDCO bar, I also installed an ADDCO bar on the rear of the Raunch Wagon.  Since the wagon was taller and heavier in rear, I thought the back side would need more control.  With both ADDCOs and QA1 adjustable shocks, the Raunch Wagon could take on most anyone in its class.  One caution on more control, be careful with what you wish for, with more control you may paid for it in loss of comfort.  That is, more control usually means less cushy ride.

Gasman, are those Traction Master traction bars, or something else? And do they eliminate wheelhop 100%? On my 59, with a 428CJ and 4 speed, I get really bad wheelhop, even with a set of the good Lakewood "J bolt" traction bars and adjustable Calvert rear shocks. It doesn`t wheelhop at the dragstrip, with slicks, but with the street tires, on the street or dragstrip, it hops quite badly, and the traction bars have bent the front of my new (stock spec) leaf springs. So I was considering Traction Masters, even if they require some welding on the frame.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

gasman826

No, they are not Traction Masters.  They are Traction Master style that I made but they are adjustable.  Traction Masters are welded in place.  IF they are off just a fraction, launches and hard second gear shifts may be less than straight.  In some cases, I found Mustangs and some Galaxies would 'push' or rear steer.  Both ends of mine have heims joints with swedge tubes which makes for adjustability.  After installing mine, a hard second gear shift would generate a hard, rear kick to the right.  A couple of quarter turns on the swedge tube and the rear stayed straight in place.  Another benefit is really good weight transfer.  Oh, and absolutely no wheel hop, spring wrap, or spring damage.  The QA1 adjustables are also a big improvement.

lalessi1

Quote from: 59meteor on 2024-03-13 20:01Gasman, are those Traction Master traction bars, or something else? And do they eliminate wheelhop 100%? On my 59, with a 428CJ and 4 speed, I get really bad wheelhop, even with a set of the good Lakewood "J bolt" traction bars and adjustable Calvert rear shocks. It doesn`t wheelhop at the dragstrip, with slicks, but with the street tires, on the street or dragstrip, it hops quite badly, and the traction bars have bent the front of my new (stock spec) leaf springs. So I was considering Traction Masters, even if they require some welding on the frame.

I have Traction Masters on my car. They are longer than Gary's bars. I have no wheel hop at all but I also have 6 leaf springs. The 6 leaf springs raised the car so I put 1" lowering blocks on the car then I switched to 2" blocks (that would increase the tendency to axle hop I think). The issue is now that put the tires too close to the bar bolt head on the perch so I am about to switch back to the stock springs and lose the blocks. The Traction Master guy is the original fabricator I think and they may no longer be available. The bar front mount welds to the frame with the suspension fully loaded. They do occasionally bind though which is why the Cal Tracs were designed. I can give you dimensions and pics if you'd like to make your own (if you can't get them anymore).
Lynn

57chero

Well, I took Gassn826 advice and put an Addco 7/8" factory replacement sway bar on my Ranchero and I'm glad I did it fit perfect, and they now have the correct urethan bushings with it, I just couldn't use the SW T-bird style one on mine because it sits to low, I didn't realize how wimpy the stock one was until I put this one on, very happy with my choice.

gasman826

I'm glad you're happy with the ADDCO.  It is also good to know ADDCO upgraded the bushings.