News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

292 starter issue

Started by scottegibbs, 2020-08-31 17:22

Previous topic - Next topic

scottegibbs

Hi All, I have an issue with the starter seeming to "drag" when the engine is warmed up and sometimes have to wait for the engine to cool down before being able to start the car. I have in the past seen smoke coming from the starter. I have installed thicker gauge wiring from the battery to the starter and the ground also thinking I'd get better current as the cables used to get really warm when trying to start the car. I'm looking into getting a new starter and have found one, but it says it is for a '58 and up 292... the photo looks the same, but I'm wondering if the shaft is a different length or circumference and I'm sure someone here would know! I'm also sure the solenoid needs to be replaced as I have to "tap" it once in a while to get it past the "clicking"! Any suggestions or observations would be great!!
.         ____________              1957 Ford Fairlane
         /                     \             1990 Ford Ranger
      |\  ----------------  /|          2005 F-250
      (o)____________(o)          2016 Escape
      (______|___|_____)

Ford Blue blood

Most "dragging when hot" issues are from worn bushings and/or worn brushes.  Both easy fixes with parts in hand.  Check Rock Auto for the parts and/or a replacement.  Easy to compare part numbers for the replacement starter if that is the way you want to go.

I use the site to look for parts from one year to the next, custom parts or just plain hunting for something to improve or fix a problem.  Given most yards will not let you roam around and all they have now is late model junk finding "stuff" is hard to do now.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

scottegibbs

Thanks Blue Blood! I'm sure that is the case after 60+ years of use! I'll get a rebuild kit to freshen it up!
      (______|___|_____)

djfordmanjack

same here. had old worn and gummed up brushes. I found NORS brushes on ebay, they are frequently advertised and I trust them better than any of the modern replacement stuff.

scottegibbs

I received the starter rebuild kit today. Couldn't find a complete (-the armature) kit, so I did a little investigating and found that the starter part number for the 57 fairlane was the same as the part number for an old 50's Ford 6N type tractor. Rebuild kits for the tractor were readily available so I ordered one ($20.22 at Amazon, Tisco SRK403 Starter Repair Kit). I'll find out how good my investigation skills are as soon as I get a chance to pull the starter and tear into it!!! LOL
      (______|___|_____)