News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Instrument panel

Started by jseth83, 2014-01-28 09:33

Previous topic - Next topic

65kcode

Not trying to hijack this thread, but here is mine that I just finished up tonight.

JPotter57

That is the way I did mine..looks cool
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

RICH MUISE

Quote from: jseth83 on 2014-11-08 11:05
Sorry I'm way late here, but I didn't realize that there were responses.   Those are VDO gauges,  and the LEDs came from a vendor at cruising the coast.   The only thing I didn't like is that the middle led (blue high beam indicator) is disproportionately bright,  borderline blinding.  Dangerous at night lol.  My brow angle was a little off, but it was close enough that the screws pulled it in to fit.  I drew the layout on autocad to be sure everything would fit, and welded studs on the back to attach it.
Ron Francis wiring has the indicator lights available in both bright and dim, in a variety of sizes and styles. I bought the bright indicators for my turn signals that I am installing outside in the hood scoop, and the dim version for my high beam indicator light that will be in my billet dash panel. If I install idiot lights to go with the gages, I'll use the dim versions there also.
Both of you guys did a nice job on the panels..they look great.
I just checked out the new Dakota Digital dash...kinda pricey at 800, plus for senders, but you know your getting quality. This is a great option for those wanting digital input with an analog almost stock looking appearance.
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=964/category_id=433/mode=prod/prd964.htm
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

jseth83

Looks good kcode. Thanks rich.   My high beam indicator could burn a hole through my forehead.   This was the first electrical speedometer I've ever had in an old car. ...I hope I never have to go back, I love it.
57 wagon, sedan, and TBird 
67 Mustang

VwDrvFnd

Sorry for the HIJACK but that Dakota Dash will be mine! it is really cool and uses the factory dash panel! Totally awesome pricey but awesome!

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2014-11-09 05:49
Ron Francis wiring has the indicator lights available in both bright and dim, in a variety of sizes and styles. I bought the bright indicators for my turn signals that I am installing outside in the hood scoop, and the dim version for my high beam indicator light that will be in my billet dash panel. If I install idiot lights to go with the gages, I'll use the dim versions there also.
Both of you guys did a nice job on the panels..they look great.
I just checked out the new Dakota Digital dash...kinda pricey at 800, plus for senders, but you know your getting quality. This is a great option for those wanting digital input with an analog almost stock looking appearance.
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=964/category_id=433/mode=prod/prd964.htm
I have a rust hole in my passanger side inner fender well, It's 58 years old what do you expect?

gasman826

Just another gauge layout.

jseth83

gasman, I like it!  I thought about that same layout but was worried I'd run out of room.  A couple of questions, did you weld the instrument panel in solid?  What did your steering setup come from?  and where did you mount your radio?  It looks good. 
67 Mustang

gasman826

Welded up all the dash holes except the glove box...even the speaker.  Small gauges are 2-1/8" and tach and speedo are 3".  I used mini snap-in lights for high beam, turn signals, and a very bright oil pressure light to backup the gauge.  The column is '74 Lincoln...tilt, cruise, 4-way switch, better ignition switch, better wiring, smaller steering wheel and it's Lincoln...and it is what I had.  No radio...just the loud pedal.  With open fenderwell headers,  radio was a waste.  Future modes would include a console with radio.

First picture is an example of sever scope creep...mock up of '64 Thunderbird complete interior in '57.

Second picture is the model.

RICH MUISE

Gary...I hope I'm not the only one that's confused....is the modified 57 panel with the round gages in the wagon or sedan, or no longer in the sedan because your installing the 64 tbird dash, or you've abandoned the idea of the tbir dash. lol...What the heck is "sever scope creep"
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

NO...you're not confused.  The red '57 dash with the round gauges was Version 3.2 and was in the black '57 Custom I'm still working on.  That dash no longer exists.  It went to scrap a few years ago.  Version 4.0 is the Thunderbird dash in the same black '57 Custom.  Most of that interior is awaiting upholstery.  I've got the tack strip, windlace, headliner, and glass installed.  As you well know, it takes time and life gets in the way now and then.

Typo on the sever...severe scope creep is a term used to describe how a little project can easily become an over budget, blown time-line monster...the realistic project goals have been exceeded to where there is no budget and will never be completed.
Picture 1 is TBird dash mocked up one more time before tear down for upholstery.
Picture 2 & 3 is with tack, windlace, headliner and glass installed.

jseth83

gasman I think you made my head explode a little bit.  That's going to take me a while to wrap my head around lol...   Very cool ideas.
67 Mustang

KnottGarage

Here is a link to the Dakota Digital gauges.  Nice looking gauge cluster. I saw it in person at one of the Goodguys shows. http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=964/category_id=433/mode=prod/prd964.htm
1957 Del Rio
1958 Del Rio
1959 Ranch Wagon

jseth83

That is a really nice looking kit!
67 Mustang