News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Front/Rear swaybars for '57 wagon/sedan delivery?

Started by KidKourier, 2009-10-05 00:22

Previous topic - Next topic

KidKourier

Anybody have any info on larger swaybars for station wagon or sedan delivery---size/prices?Found topic on swaybars from "Thunderbird Southwest" will these fit the wagon suspension? What are you all using? KID

alstoy

Hi Kid, I went with the Concours front and rear option on my '57 Country Sedan Wagon. A little pricey but we have limited options here in New Zealand, freight is a big part of any decision and Concours International Freight charge is pretty good. I am really happy with the Concours option, good fit, easy instructions, looks good. Not yet on the road to see how it works yet though.

KidKourier

alstoy, Thanks for the info on Concourse Parts,I'll check them out.I was refured to Thunderbird Southwest in LaGrange,Texas and they carry 1 1/8" front for $226 with 1" rear going for $180--have to do some shopping and try to get the best bang for the buck(seeing as how those bucks are getting harder to come by lately). Agin-thanks for the info! KID

alstoy

Kid, Yeah I looked at the Southwest option, seems its the same product as Concours and a little cheaper but for me after freight Concours worked out best value. Good luck

bagboy

WE made our own rear sway bar- 2004 cev Taoho. The bar fits FOWARD of the Diff. The arms that come with it fit right too holes that the frame has-at top of frame arch. Cut the mounts [narrowed] and tacked in place. Bout 90min of work. Ended all of jitterbug movement of rear end. Spring and were new. Works great

cool57

Quote from: bagboy on 2009-10-10 19:16
WE made our own rear sway bar- 2004 cev Taoho. The bar fits FOWARD of the Diff. The arms that come with it fit right too holes that the frame has-at top of frame arch. Cut the mounts [narrowed] and tacked in place. Bout 90min of work. Ended all of jitterbug movement of rear end. Spring and were new. Works great

bagboy, any chance you could post some clear pics of the setup? Thanks.

bagboy

I tryed last time . Camera wouldn't flash[ old tech]. Car is in storage now too.It is a very simple fix and fits like made for a ford . The bar fits foward to clear the gas tank.PM me for phone # if you want.

robhaerr

By the way...I am not seeing the sway bar info on this web site that you guys talk about...please advise...
http://www.thunderbirdsouthwest.com/

Maybe I just call them and ask(?)

Thanks!
Rob

gasman826

PST has a 7/8" front bar.  I put one in my Custom with a 460 and air bags.  No rear bar.  Hey, its not a G machine but it drives real nice.

RICH MUISE

Rob and gasman....the thunderbirds southwest website is at best not good. Check concorse to see if they have pics....it's the same bars...thunderbirds southwest is the actual dropshipper if you order them from Concorse....I've got some pics posted somewhere of the front bar, which is 1 1/8....a whole lot more substantial than the 7/8
Rich
P.S. Rob...check out the post after this one if you haven't already.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

I looked up the sway bars for early Thunderbirds on the Concours Parts site.  These look like they are great candidates for relocating the sway bar to a more common style/location.  I was wondering how you got 1-1/8" sway bays in the OEM location.  The PST is a good (if not the only) larger than OEM sway bar for the stock location.  I had considered moving the sway bar forword as with the Thunderbird design.  But with the air bags, the shocks were relocated to the front of the lower control arm.  So the real estate for the sway bar and links disappeared.  The PST sway bar holds the car very flat though turns.