News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

column for R&P

Started by cool57, 2011-01-19 21:23

Previous topic - Next topic

cool57

OK, before the "search police" nail me; I searched and found lots of opinions and choices. I am tired and don't want to read " a thousand posts" :003: For those in the know: what is the best way to retain a stock appearing column with correctly functioning horn and turn signals? I have column shift and will retain it, I do not want tilt or anything that looks out of place in my interior.
Is their a feasible way to modify the '57 horn setup so it will work? Is it more efficient to find a '59 column than modify the '57? Other suggestions? Thanks to all-especially Jim Nolan.

Ford Blue blood

The horn wire will be an issue.  Get a 58/59 column as the horn wire is bundled with the turn/brake wires.  Had the part number for a bearing (lost it..I know..useless) that fits over the shaft and into the tube, got it from NAPA.  It is a radial and thrust load bearing.  A spot weld on the shaft to keep it positioned and two screws into the tube to lock it in place.  Do not weld a u-joint on the shaft.  Get it cut to 3/4" DD or spend time with a grinder and file to make the DD end.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

JimNolan

Cool57,
    When I first thougt about converting my 57 to rack and pinion the idea of not having a 57 steering wheel pretty near kept me from buying one. But, as I dug into the problem I found that the inside of a later ford used a spring and metal pin just like the 57 but it sat to the side of the steering shaft and didn't have a wire tied to it. What I had planned on doing was take the steering wheel off and see if I could insert an insulated copper disc underneath the 57 steering wheel and drill an appropriate hole in the steering wheel to house the pin and spring like a 63 ford has. I never went any farther, just put the rack and pinion on the shelf and forgot about it. But, I'm like you, I want to run my 57 Ford steering wheel. If I hadn't had power steering already and didn't want headers I'd have had the horn problem solved a long time ago. I love doing stuff like that. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

TexasFordGuy

Jim I know this is old post but, this just may be the solution to keeping the stock 57 column and using the R&P steering setup. 

A common steering swap on the 53-56 F100 uses a Toyota steering box. With this swap, you have the same issue of the wire for the horn can no longer go through the stock box. 

Basically this kit is using an electric motor brush and some turned down plastic with a metal sleeve that the wire screws to. If you could find the brush the turning down is pretty simple.

Here is the link to go and just buy it. https://midfifty.com/item.php?INV_ID=5848
1957 Club Victoria (63B)
1955 F100