News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

suspension overhaul... all or just some...

Started by texasmark1, 2011-01-24 18:44

Previous topic - Next topic

texasmark1

64 B two door post, 272, standard steering...

spring project: rebuilding/overhauling the front end in particular, to include installing the "lower it using Aerostar springs" step...

what's the best and/or most reasonable way to proceed...

just rebuild it all...
just replace all the rubber components...
what's the best way to prioritize parts to replace...

all opinions welcome!

thanks, Mark
God Bless Texas!

shopratwoody

If it needs them, I'd replace the A frames bushing first and maybe ball
joints at the same time.
I hate blocksanding!

texasmark1

symptoms would be the usual suspects, I guess...
loose, out of control movement, like grabbing the front wheels and moving back and forth on the 3-9 and 12-6 axis...?
signs of crumbly, stiff rubber components...
...suppose I can diagnois problems without a full teardown?

thanks,Mark
God Bless Texas!

Lgcustom

Mark,

I think for all the work you'll be doing to replace the springs, it would be best to just replace all bushings and ball joints on both the upper and lower a-arms. Then you won't have to worry about it for years to come. Replacing the a-arm bushings will be easiest if you have access to a hydraulic press. You can get the old ones out without it, but installing the new ones is way easier with the press.
Where are you in Houston? I'm in Katy.

texasmark1

Deer Park... you ever get out East of town??
maybe we can get together; are you in the Fords of the Fifties club based in Housont?

Mark
God Bless Texas!

RICH MUISE

I agree..bushings and ball joints for sure. You can always do the rubber bumpers later. unless it's had front end damage, your shafts should be ok. keep track of number and location of shims and washers, if any. Rich...way north of houston!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Lgcustom

Mark,

I haven't been to the east side with the car.  With a 3.70 gear the 460 gets pretty annoying at highway speed. Sure is fun to stand on it though! Occasionally get to the West Houston Muscle show on Saturdays. It's just off I-10 at Fry road in Katy.

Larry

Custom300Madman

Hey guys I'm north by 1960 east of 45 by Humble area. I want to do the aerostar springs but uncertain about the compressing procedure as well as the disc conversion and ball joint reaming issue.

-Keith
1957 Ford Custom 300 Fourdoor, with factory 312 yblock

62galxe

I used the versaille spindles so no reaming. On the springs I got the free rental from oriellys. If you use it upside down it works good. Take the threaded rod out and put the part with the hooks in the bottom of the spring and drop the threaded rod in through the top shock mount. On the original post I replaced ball joints and bushings. Kanter has a decent kit.

Custom300Madman

1957 Ford Custom 300 Fourdoor, with factory 312 yblock