News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Securing U-Joint to Steering Shaft

Started by Alex L., 2011-12-21 10:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex L.

As part of the install of the wildhog rack and pinion system that I have I must secure the u joint that I have to the modified existing steering shaft. The u-joint appears to be made of stainless steel, so welding is out. The joint is not a double d joint so making the end on the existing shaft into a double d profile would not be helpful. The set screws that are a part of the joint seem really lame and I don't think I would trust my life to their ability to hold.

What I am thinking is that I could drill a hole through the joint and the shaft and place a bolt (grade 8) completely through them. The bolt would be in a double shear arrangement so it should be plenty strong, I think anyway.

Any thoughts on this matter?

Frankenstein57

Shaft isn't to big to start with, probably need at least a 1/4 inch bolt. I think that would weaken the shaft, try sending Tom a pm, I'm sure he has the answer. Maybe a pinch bolt u joint, Mark

wildhog

Alex, Send an e=mail to Sparky at jms5477@yahoo.com I am sure he can help you. Did you try to contact him? I know his contact was included with the kit.  Tom
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

RICH MUISE

I don't know if you got the same joint with your kit as I got with mine, but mine doesn't have a set screw...it has a thru bolt and the shaft is notched where the bolt goes, so even if it loosens, the shaft wont pull out unless the bolt comes completly out. Also, my joint is a double-d...the round shaft supplied with the kit has been machined to the double d congiguration only on the end. Lastly if it is stainless, welding is definetly not out of the question.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Alex L.

I just went ahead and did it. I used a 1/4" bolt, grade 8. the shear strength of one of those bolts is about 4400lbs and it is in a double shear arrangement so it is double the strength. i quick calculation says i would need about 500 lb/ft of torque on the wheel to shear the bolt, so i'm not to worried. i imagine the shaft is stronger than the bolt so i'm not worried about the weakening of the shaft.

the shaft i am speaking of is the original steering column shaft.

all in all I think it will be a perfectly serviceable solution.