News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Alignment?

Started by sprink88, 2012-05-17 08:12

Previous topic - Next topic

sprink88

I called around and I cannot seem to find anyone to align my car. They say its to old. I pull right pretty good. Any way to fix it?
~Chris

Lou

Have you tried a Ford dealer, or better yet a Ford truck dealer (large trucks) ?

sprink88

Dealer wont. Hmm. Why large truck?  Never thought of that
~Chris

KidKourier

Most alignment shops are now computer formated and don't have '57 Fords in their programs(all newer models) including Ford dealers. If you have any local car shows in your area ask them where they had theirs done locally.I was sent to an older gentleman in an old run down tin building,a little greasy,a few old tires laying around,and told him what I needed.Sure,just pull her over on the rack  there he said,walked over and check the car out,went over and pulled an old well used book out and flipped through the pages then said yup just as I thought and had my front end aligned in about 20 minutes(I left about 2 hours later--just enjoying the great stories and Dave himself) car handles like a dream.   KID

KidKourier

Sorry I forgot the stock specs:  Caster--1/2 to 1 1/2 degrees,  Camber--1/2 to 1 1/2 degrees, Toe-in--1/16" to 1/8" inches,regular car not T-bird. If you can find a alignment tech who'll work with you he can program his computer or find a vehicle with matching specs! KID

sprink88

Cool. Thank you!
~Chris

gasman826

How sad it is that if the computer can't do it...it can't be done.  It is better that they know their limitations than mess it all up.  This is one of the reasons that I have my own alignment equipment.

RICH MUISE

I'm wondering if the "Bear frame and alignment" national chain of shops can do it...seems like you'd be more apt to find an older guy in one of those shops that could, rather than a general repair shop that does alignments as an "also"....I'll stop by our local Bear alignment shop and find out.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

shopratwoody

I do my own. doesn't wear tires and doesn't pull either way. I'll have it checked when convenient.
I hate blocksanding!

gasman826

If you have power steering, run the caster as positive as you can and still maintain no more than 1/2 degree positive camber.  If running larger front tires (wider), 1/4 degree positive camber.

Frankenstein57

If you know any circle track racers, the serious ones will have a camber caster gauge. Flip them a couple $20's, and a case of beer, use the numbers the guys posted, and you should solve the problem. That's how we set mine up, my friend has a gauge. Over the winter I replaced the lower control arm bushings, recently put the 58 box in, man this car drives nice. 60 mph, let go of the wheel, straight on a line. Jump on the brakes, still good.Not that difficult, you can do it! :002:  Mark