News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

57 AGIN and Wighty...any progress?

Started by RICH MUISE, 2011-08-02 08:13

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

I've been anxioustly watching for photos from both of you guys as I'm sure are a number of members....they are both going to be awesome. I have a particular interest because of the 70A body and being done in silvers..as is mine. If I remember correctly, wighty's was painted and the shop was waiting for that awesome chassis. Bob...hopefully Santini has inched a little closer to sqirtin' some shiney stuff on yours.    Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

JPotter57

How about you, Rich?  We havent seen any more photos of yours lately....gettin antsy over here waiting to see it painted and assembly beginning.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

57AGIN

Rich:

Finally, I have something to report.  The 57 is scheduled for the application of color this week.  Last night when I went by Santini's after work I found the fenders, doors, hood & deck lid in the spray booth ready for Santini to paint later and dry over night in the booth.  The first color he's applying is the pewter, which will eventually be on the dash, door jams & window frames and the hood, deck lid, tail light bezels, cowl, middle of the body above the Custom 300 side trim and upper part of the fenderwells.  Last night he was going to spray the inside of the doors & jams, inside of fenders, hood and deck lid.  He then plans on assembling the doors, fenders, deck lid, tail light bezels, hood and the piece in front of the hood for final color painting & making sure it all matches. 

Needless to say, I'm excited that it is finally coming to the final stages.  Based on my very limited knowledge of the painting processes, etc. I'm also pleased that Santini seems to have his stuff together and the longevity of my rides paint in the front of his mind.  It definitely has not been a slam it together and get it out of his shop making room for the next one project.  Here are probably the last shots I'm taking before color is applied.

Bob
57 AGIN

RICH MUISE

Bob..sounds like reward time for all your patience (and dollars) is getting nearer. Also sounds like I won't have to feel sorry for you having to drive that Mustang around for too much longer.   Rich

wighty

Hi Rich,
I will try to get some pictures posted tonight after I get home from work.  I am very pleased with how it turned out  Both the silver and the dark gray have a very fine metallic that match each other perfectly.  As this is part time project, I expect I will be another year on this.  I would like to have completed for Hot August Nights in 2012.
Wighty

Ford Blue blood

Wighty it took me 2 1/2 years to complete my 62 Bird so I would say you are doing very good......
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

I'm better than 5 years on mine part time..realistically probably another 2 to go.

JPotter57

Same here, Rich.  I've been on and off with my Custom for going on 5 years, prob have at least 2 more on mine.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Zapato

have you all beat, owned my 57 for at least 4 years and have gathered a lot of parts but still no wrench time. hopefully this winter.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

wighty

Here is a couple of pictures of my 57 after paint and with the body back on the chassis.
Wighty

Frankenstein57

Lookin good, how are you guys keeping the paint safe while re assembling the doors, fenders, hood ect. My ranchero is all blocked and scuffed waiting for paint. We are waiting for a break in the humid ,hot weather. We can cool the shop down ,but when we open up the fans it sucks in all the humidity. Rich, you still don't have your engine fit in there yet, but you are painting it? My painter is a stickler for good body lines, we spent hours working to get the lines good, I can't imagine taking it back apart to paint.  Mark

shopratwoody

Mark
Most of mine was done here at home. I took it apart and jambed it, did inside of bed, backside
of the hood, interior and all around where the glass would be. Rehung the doors and installed
and aligned the hood. Then took it to a booth and did the outside. Brought it back and re assemble
the rest. Worked for me.Sanded and buffed before windows etc..
Ron
I hate blocksanding!

wighty

One of the best ways I know to protect edges and corners from nicks and scrathes during assembly is to cover all of these surfaces with blue minimum stick masking tape.  I buy the 2" wide roll and tape everything.  I put it on anything I think is at risk.
Wighty

RICH MUISE

Wighty..I love that color combo..It's gonna look awesome all assembled. What are you doing for the interior?
Mark...ditto what wighty said on the 2" blue masking tape..funny, I just picked up 3 rolls last week.
Maybe a subject for it's own thread, but I think how a car is painted is a matter of personal preference and the particular situation for the project. Look at wighty's and Bob's projects...both in professional shops for simmilar work..Wighty's shop elected to paint the components seperately eliminating the hassle of blending inside and outside surfaces (really hard to do if sealer is under the color coat) but adding the hasstle of assembling without scratching. Santini is painting Bob's car the other way..inside jambs, etc..assembly..then final paint. Santini won't have to worry about gettin things scratched up when reassembling, but is going to have a ton of masking to do to hide all the blend areas. As I said I think it's a matter of which is best for the individual doin' the work. For me I really didn't have that option..I neither had the space or the manpower to paint the whole car all at once...had to do it in pieces. As far as when I'll assemble the front sheetmetal on the car will be determined which side of my brain wins out!..lol..I'm really anxious to see the car in one piece..it took 5 1/2 years to get it to that point..so my impatient side is battling with my logic side which is telling me to get as much done as I can without the sheetmetal in the way.
Engine install aside..because I don't have the engine and it's going to be a while before I have the $ for it...My logic side is telling me to install the headliner, then windshield.To aquire and install the wiring harness as far as I can (actually before headliner),install dashboard so I can install the Mustang steering column and the rack and pinion as well as the hydroboost and brake lines. All of these would be easier without front sheetmetal on....In other words I've got tons of stuff to dI can do before the nose of the car is put on..and keep the project rolling with little cash...but I'm really anxious to see it assembled...who knows what I'll do at this point..I don't. A saying I've used many times over the years.."do something, even if it's wrong"  Rich