News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

some useless information...FOB

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-01-27 08:43

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

One of the new members was looking for a windshield, and it got me to thinking about something I learned in a small business class many years ago. With so many of us buying online nowadays, this may be useful to someone, somewhere at some point...maybe not, but anyways....
You will see the term FOB used in many business's outline of shipping procedures. FOB is short for "free on board", a term that goes back to the horse and buggy days. Most people take the term to determine who is paying for the shipping costs, and that usually is the case, but legally, it is a term which pinpoints the exact location where responsibility for the merchandise changes hands, regardless of who paid for or arranged shipping. With the simplified fill-in-the-blanks ordering we see on the internet, I'm not sure if this is as common as it use to be. In years past almost any contract to purchase you signed had the FOB term on it. Legally, it is an extermly complicated subject..FOB Law school textbooks I was told are inches thick. Anyway..good thing to know if your reading the fine print anymore. Just remember, regardless of shipping costs, the designated FOB point is where YOUR responsibility takes over if your the buyer.
One other comment on this...many businesses do not understand that legality and use it, or attempt to use it, incorrectly. This can be to your advantage. As much as posible, you want the FOB point to be your "receiving dock" or front porch.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ecode70D

I think that is very useful , and not useless.   I never knew what that meant.  Thanks for that bit of information.  Now I have to start looking for it.

hiball3985

Thats good information. I always thought FOB was the point of origin of the shipping and had no idea of all the legality behind it.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Ideally what you want to see on a contract is FOB destination..That way if anything happens in shipping, it's the sellers resposibility.
An interesting scenario the professor gave, hopefully remembered correctly after 30 years....
you order 2000 gidget transmision assemblies from Taiwan, with the agreed contract being FOB Point Of Origin. The 2000 gidgets are sent to the docks for shipping. The docks are still considered in this case, point of origin. 200 of them get loaded onto the ship, and during their lunch break, there's an explosion on the boat, catching fire to the boat and dock, destroying, amoungst other things, all 2000 gidgets.
The 200 gidgets loaded onto the ship transfered responsibility at that point, and became the buyer's loss. The 1800 that were never left became the seller's loss because they were never delivered.
The above may not seem relevant to most of us, but if any of you are getting ready to crack open your wallet and order a brand new Custom FOOSEMOBILE, delivered to your home...you'd better make sure of the FOB point on it.

Ecode70D

Rich
     If you turn to page 11, there is a post by 62galxe dated 9/7/2012.   It looks like he used just the outer section of the grill on his 56.  I was wondering if that was something along the idea of what you had in mind for your 57.   I tried to PM this to you, but it didn't work. 
Jay

Lou

I've always been told that FOB means "Freight on board", meaning seller pays for any loading fees and is responsible until the item (s) loaded on the carriers , ship, truck or railroad car.

Tom S

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2013-01-27 20:40If you turn to page 11, there is a post by 62galxe dated 9/7/2012.
This post.
http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=3558.0
Really like the '56 hardtops & that one is killer.

RICH MUISE

Quote from: Lou on 2013-01-27 22:26
I've always been told that FOB means "Freight on board", meaning seller pays for any loading fees and is responsible until the item (s) loaded on the carriers , ship, truck or railroad car.
Lou..it is "Free on board", but the Fob point still has to be designated. What you said would always be the case if the point was origin, but your "until" point would change and go further, including transportation, if it was designated as destination. But we're still talking responibility,and not necessarily who pays for it.
The strange "Free on board" I was lectured was thought to be a contraction of "free of liabilities at the point it is loaded on board"..or something like that.

RICH MUISE

Jay, the pm did go thru btw, thanks. That '56 is one of my all time favorite cars. I've got that video saved in my favorites list. What he did with the outer portion of the original grille is what I'm thinking I'd like to do with mine. Ive been tossing around different ideas on the center section, from tubing, to rectangular 3/16 x 1 ss bars on edge. Most recently I saw a 50's merc with a heavy 3 bar 50's Desoto center section.
One of my favorite '57's is owned by a guy name  Bob Burgdoff..or something like that...featured in one of the rod magazines a few years back. I've been looking for pics..can't find them. When I do, I'll post it. His has a grille with the center being the rectangular bars. Somebody here posted the pics for me when I brought his car up for discusion back then.
yeah...found them....

RICH MUISE

If I attempt to reproduce the grille in the photos, the only change I would make would be to angle the strips with the back edge of them upwards to block off the view of the core support/radiator area when your looking straight on as in the photo of the full car. Anyways..got to many irons in the fire to get the car finished. What I'll probably do is clean up my old but good original grille and use that until after the car is finished and on the road. Then I'll look into something to replace it.