News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Drop n Stop closing!

Started by RICH MUISE, 2019-05-20 16:16

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Just got some disappointing news on the Hamb from Dave at Drop 'n Stop. He is closing due to health issues. He's been the go-to guy for alot of our dropped spindle disc brake kits. Very helpful guy, even when your not buying from him. He's going to be missed. He said he does have some spindles left and some disc conversion components.......so if you were needing something, better call now!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

This getting old and the rash of closings because of health is becoming concerning.  My group of "car guys" has shrunk down to just three of us now.  Getting new blood in is hard, the youngsters have lives, electronic machines, and too much debt to come out and play with us.  The kids that are doing what we did in years past are doing it with imports.  $10K will build a pretty nice burner, can't even utter hot rod/street machine/muscle car for $10K. 
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

hiball3985

Same here, our group is getting smaller and the young guys rather lease a BMW  :005:.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

rmk57

I'm going out to the street legal drags this Friday to shake the cobwebs off the car and my son (16) said he wants to tag along. I Damn near fell over backwards.

There's still hope for some of the young ones.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

djfordmanjack

collectible cars, parts and the hobby in general has become so expensive, that it is very difficult for younger guys to keep one running, let alone restore or modify two or several project cars. I had been discussing this with Jay (Ecode70D) after the bancruptcy of Le Baron Bonney. I believe business is getting harder for aftermarket suppliers, because the longtime collectors have their nice cars mostly restored and don't need replacement parts, and the newbies cannot afford a resto mod project anyways.
Also most all of the solid foundation good street rod project cars have been used up and the field finds are drying up as well, along with being in much worse condition than decades ago. Starting with a not so good foundation, means such a project also needs bigger funds for parts and shop hours, so probably less are getting fully restored for the lack of big money. this is just my humble opinion. Maybe I am wrong.

59meteor

In addition to the above, not very many young people seem all that interested in owning and modifying a car, and those that do, tend to favor mostly newer Japanese cars, or if an American vehicle, they lean more towards FOX Mustangs, or late model cars and Diesel pickup trucks. And those that do seem to have short attention spans, as Craigslist is always full of cars and parts for sale, because the owner is "Going in a new direction". I am sure many of us here own these cars because they were the type of cars we grew up with , or always wanted, but could not afford at that time. For people in there late 20s, that is not a 60+ year old family car. Much like the guys that restored and drove stock Model T & A Fords, our treasured late 50s Fords will likely continue to lose interest and values as the years go by, might as well enjoy them while we can. I see the same thing at local car shows and the dragstrip. More newer cars, often owned by older guys who either don`t want to work on an old car anymore, (and many never did.) At the dragstrip, I have been racing for over 40 years, not many "young uns", other than the Friday "Street Legal" crowd, and even then, many do it for a year or 2, and then buy a motorcycle, boat, 4x4, or a BMW, and wander off to the next chapter.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

Jeff Norwell

Cost.The Cost is just enormous and crazy..... From early hotrods.... The cost is just crazy..... 50's and 60's cars are and can be cheaper..but.....cost.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Ford Blue blood

I have my dad to blame for this illness!  Can't ever remember not working on a car/truck/tractor/machinery and loving every moment of doing it.  Given I don't hunt, don't fish, and don't chase little white balls around the pasture I have found great satisfaction in "playing" with cars.  Now, given I have three daughters the interest in playing with cars didn't catch on but they all three can change the oil, tire, and flush a radiator.  And as stated before, they would rather make car payments then get grease under their nails....

Cost!  Out of sight!  Just the materials along are out of sight.  I am fortunate to have learned many aspects of building and have collected a bunch of tools over the years.  To this point I have made a few bucks on most every project to fund the next.  I just can't imagine trying to start the collecting tools process today (not enough time left for that :<) ) never mind going through the learning process again.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

KYBlueOval

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2019-05-20 16:16
Just got some disappointing news on the Hamb from Dave at Drop 'n Stop. He is closing due to health issues. He's been the go-to guy for alot of our dropped spindle disc brake kits. Very helpful guy, even when your not buying from him. He's going to be missed. He said he does have some spindles left and some disc conversion components.......so if you were needing something, better call now!
Does anyone on this Forum know Dave at Drop 'n Stop , very well?
IF that member could contact Dave and ask him to put together a list of what the application is , and maybe part numbers, for the parts and pieces in his various kits.
I can see the need to know down the road one day, when a part needs to be replaced, and we don't know what the part number,is or what is the original application. Just a thought.

RICH MUISE

Dave is a member of the 52-59 Ford social club on the Hamb. He hasn't been too specific about what issues he's facing, and that's ok, other than health. Some of the Hamb guys were hoping he'd be able to get back in business after he's recovered, and his response was just..."we'll have to wait and see". Not sure with that in mind how ethical it would be to ask for a list, let me mull it over. Dave and I were pm'ing back and forth earlier this week.
Most of the components, I believe, are stock Granada.....rotors, calipers, pads, spindles (modified). I just don't remember the year range, but I'll see what I can find. I never ordered the master and booster from him, so never paid much attention to discussions on those.
I mulled it over,..............I sent him a pm

RICH MUISE

Dave sent me his phone number and told me to call. Is there anything specific you want me to ask.....John, or anybody else?

KYBlueOval

Rich, I think Dave would know, what parts and pieces in his kits, we would need to know about. Worst case scenario is being on a road trip and let's say you burn up a rotor bearing and damage the spindle, or somehow damage the mounting bracket. The bearings are easy, as they have numbers. What is the OEM application for the rotor, spindle etc.? I think I recall, that there are some Australian Ford parts in some of these kits.
I just don't want to find myself in need of a part and not know its OEM application, which would put any of us in a real pickle. IMHO,we have to assume that Dave will no longer be a source for any part that is included in his kits. I'm sure you see where I'm going.
In my perfect world, where I never get to live, Dave would post , or make available to his customers, a list of every part in the kit purchased, and its OEM part number and application.
If,you think I'm over thinking it, just say so.   
John

RICH MUISE

You would be amazed how much Dave goes out of his way to help guys. He's the base for your perfect world of business, lol. Others here from the Hamb social group may know what I'm talking about if you've seen posts from him to guys needing help. Overthinking it? No, I just don't think there are that many components that are not Granada, but I will verify when I can get a chance to talk to him. Biggest issue I think is actually finding the Granada spindles, and knowing what to do reaming wise to get the desired results.
The info you want is something we should all have in our build book, and I for one have way too much in my head, or never logged it in and have forgotten.

RICH MUISE

Finally remembered to do this.......the parts list: the rotors are 75/80 Ford Granada. He "cuts the nose or register to the smaller diameter to fit more wheels.
The first of the two hose numbers listed is for a banjo bolt, the second a conventional bolt.
Dave told me today he is facing shoulder replacement surgery. A big thanks to Dave, he certainly did not have to do this.