News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Stacks R&P and standard shaft/column

Started by alstoy, 2012-09-04 01:26

Previous topic - Next topic

alstoy

Hi guys, wonder if anyone can help. Finally got around to installing the R&P steering imported to New Zealand last year. The R&P went in easily and is a very tidy fit. However tonight we have tried a number of times to get the Shaft/Column to line up, through the supplied bracket, universal to the R&P. Every angle adjustment we have made, the whole column/wheel points on a slight angle to the drivers window.

It looks as though there needs to be another universal after the bracket to get it to line up accurately. Probably should mention that we have retained the column auto as well.

Any thoughts ? I have emailed Jim on the issue but figured some of you may have encountered the same problem and have a 'fix'.

Thanks in anticipation.   

RICH MUISE

Al...not sure which side is the driver's on your car, but no matter. Check out the last part of the thread titled "rack and pinion systems" started by Rockymountaincustoms....a half dozen threads below this one. I finished up that thread with alot of pics showing what I had done with alot of input from Bill and Gary. I'm not using a stock steering column, but the late model column I am using is exiting the firewall in approximatley the same location, and I had to do some additional work to get it lined correctly, I think exactly what you were talking about. I added a firewall bearing support and a single u-joint. I also coudn't get the Heims support bracket close enough to the supplied double joint without redrilling the bracket.
Hope this helps.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

alstoy

Thanks Rich, In NZ we are RHD but all USA imports are LHD so same as yours. Yes I saw that thread but sort of discounted the options as you were not using stock shaft, great job by the way. However it looks like I will have to add in a second double joint just short of firewall.

I think we will make up a bracket to fix the column at the firewall and put a bearing inside the column to run the shaft through. I need to retain the column, through the firewall to hold the Column change auto linkage.

Thanks AL

gasman826

PICTURES!!  I can't visualize why you would need two doubles.  One double ujoint on the rack and a standard ujoint on the column.  If you use two doubles, you will need two bearings on the shaft.  I think you will run out of room.

alstoy

Talked to Jim today and he steered (get it) me in the right direction. It is work in progress but I think we are on to it.

Thanks

alstoy

It was September when we getting close to finished, its now November and it is completed.
We ended up shortening the shaft and putting a standard u joint in , just below where the column gear selector link unit is on the column. We put a bearing in teh column, to support the shaft. The bearing is held in place by the 'tabs' on the gear selector unit.

HOWEVER, we have come across to issues on certification. In New Zealand all non standard modifications to vehicles have to be certified by an approved person, this becomes part of the annual 'Warrent of Fitness'.

1:   The turn radius to the right is too small, and the Left Turn is too big.
2:

alstoy

Whoops pushed the wrong button, fat fingers !

2:    The wheels do not self centre when you let the wheel go, could be that it needs more castor. Havent had that or alignment done yet.

Any thoughts, particularly the turning radius ?

Alan

gasman826

What vendor supplied the RHD rack kit?

Pictures?

RICH MUISE

Al..I probably shouldn't even be attempting to reply to this and leave it to the guys who are knowledgable about steering and suspension, but you've got me curious about how mine's going to react if it ever hits the road....but my guess on question number one is that the rack wasn't centered when it was hooked up to the spindles, and should be an easy fix since one was long and one was short. I think I remembered seeing a statement in the instructions that the rack is shipped close to center position..could your's have been moved or shifted before you hooked it up?
Question number two was intriguing because it gets a person thinking about stuff they do without thinking about it. It's been eight years since I've driven my '57, or anything else other than a late model car. The new cars just don't handle like the old ones did, and your statement about the wheels not self centering brought a smile to my face because it reminded me of how the old ones drove, but I guess without thinking about what was different. I'm not sure if it's solely because of the rack vs. the box, but I'd hazard a guess it's a combination of that and power steering vs. manual that is the difference. I guess what I'm saying is we changed to R & P to modify how the car handled, so we should expect thing to be different.
Gary..he said he had the Stacks unit ( ST fabrications)
Rich

Ford Blue blood

The left/right issue is the rack and centering it.  Get the alignment done after the left/right issue is corrected.  With a proper alignment it should return to center after making a turn.  Shoot for six degrees positive caster as a starting point.

I did a Butches Rod Shop rack install on a 51 Chevy using the Cavilier/GM power rack with the same vehicle pump and it did all it was supposed to do, returned to center after turns, not "twitchey" and the road feel was better then the stock setup.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

alstoy

Thanks Guys, It is one of John Starks Kits, excuse my spelling in the title above.

I am sure the kit would have come, centered, as per the instructions, but maybe it was moved during the install. I will look at that thanks.

Thanks FBB, your comment on alignment, is the same as a mate of mine over a beer at the fishing Club last night, he said positive caster as well.

I will advise, pressure is on as its a wedding car next saturday, along with the Galaxie and the bride is the barmaid at the fishing club, could get expensive for me if we dont get it sorted ?

Thanks AL

RICH MUISE

barmaids...classic cars...fishing clubs.....what a life.

gasman826

Turn the steering wheel to the right until it stops.  As you turn the wheel to the left, count the turns to the stop.   Divide the number in half, from one stop or the other, turn the wheel half the turns...the rack is centered.  Adjust the tie rod sleeves until both front wheels are straight +/- ahead.  Good to go to the alignment rack.

alstoy

Thanks all for your input and, yes the rack was not centered, and yes with positive castor, it returns to centre as it should.

Just need to spend a day polishing and shining 2 cars and tie on a couple of ribbons and off to the wedding. Was talking to the bride today and told her that it was good luck for the bride and bridesmaids to polish the wedding cars, she was pretty sure I made that up and told me that I better do a good job !

Thanks again, Alan