News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Car making creaking noise

Started by JimNolan, 2011-12-09 20:14

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

Guys,
   I'm at a loss here. I've got this creaking noise every time I let out on the clutch. I know it's when the front end starts to lift. I can hear it every time the front end comes up. It has just started since it's turned colder it seems like. I didn't have the noise this summer. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

JPotter57

Do you have urethane bushings in your upper or lower a arms?  If you do, that's what it is...
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

JimNolan

I don't know James, they've been in since 2005 and they never made that kind of noise before. But, that's the first thing I thought of. The rear bushings for the traction bars are making a similar noise. You can guess how long I'm going to put up with that. Jim

shopratwoody

Sounds like control arm bushings to me also. :burnout:
I hate blocksanding!

JPotter57

Check the uppers and see if they are binding, that will cause a creaking racket.

Mine probably made all manner of suspension noises, but I never heard them because the car was so loud.  I guess that is one of the hazards of requiring a quiet ride in an older car, hearing all the bumps and grinds in the suspension and engine. 

My current Custom will probably be a great deal more quiet with the 312 vs. the yellow car with the stroker 351, but I want to crank up the compression and put a great big old nasty camshaft in it, and put loud exhausts on it too.  This one will sound a lot more old school than the last, being a Y-block instead of a Windsor.  Plus, the last had a truly radical sound with the big solid roller cam.  If mine sounds as good as Glen Henderson's 338 Y, I will be a happy camper.  Therefore, if the suspension creaks and rattles, I'll never know it, lol... :burnout:
Old, loud, and fast.

Meteorman

Jim try bouncing on the front of your car you should be able to hear it if its the bushings which i suspect it is,get your oil can out and give all your bushings a squirt as there probaly just dry. If  its still creaking after that and you dont want a noisey exhaust i guess its turn up the stereo. good luck ,harold

JimNolan

Guys,
   I drove it to Ft. Wayne today and I got to hear it plenty. I'm beginning to think it's ALL coming from the traction bars. As soon as I get the interior done on the Galaxie I'll take the traction bars off the 57 and see what happens. Jim PS. Better yet, I'll oil them tomorrow to see if it helps. They allways did creak a little, even when they were new.

geraldchainsaw

Jim u havta be one die hard guy,     its to cold to even be in the garage very long,   only with some heat i guess would help,      Jerry

JPotter57

Jim, try taking the link bars off while you're not drag racing it, just leave the frame and lower axle brackets in place.  They only have 2 bolts per side, not too big a hassle to put on to go racing...Besides, that will verify that it is them making the noise.
Old, loud, and fast.

JimNolan

James,
   Very good idea. I'll do that tomorrow and just keep them in the trunk.
Jerry,
   I know it's cold, but they have heaters and defrosters. The only cars I have now are the 57 and the 63. I don't drive the truck unless there's snow and salt on the road. Jim

JimNolan

I took the traction bars off today. It drives like a cadillac and is quiet as a church mouse. What was I thinking. Jim

bagboy

Just an aside to this problem.  I would not use "oil" on bushings . spray silcone is better and won't eat up rubber bushings

JimNolan

BagBoy,
   Thanks for your reply. I looked up traction masters and the bushings are polyurethane. Petrolium based lubricants do deteriorate polyurethane. They make a polyurethane grease just for springs and sway bars since everyone seems to be using that now instead of rubber. Its a Teflon based grease. I plan on using that when I install the bars again. Thanks, Jim