News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Front fender patch panels

Started by 57 imposter, 2012-05-22 17:16

Previous topic - Next topic

57 imposter

I know this is a tired topic but I got front fenders for my project and ,at least, the passengers side is going to require a lower rear patch panel. the question is, are EMS panels worth the extra cost. I have read posts from members saying they don't fit any better than the "off shore" junk. My thinking is if I am going to have to rework the EMS panel, I might as well rework the cheaper "off shore" junk. What kind of luck have you guys had with either?

glen b henderson

I think that EMS is in the process of remaking the dies for the fender patchs for a better fit. They may have them done already, IMO it is worth giving them a call. The old ones didn't fit well, but at least the metal was thick enough to work.
Freedom is not Free

Wirenut

I purchased the EMS fender patch panels and they are not an exact fit. The bend lines are not as crisp as the original. I had to sharpen the bend lines to match the fender edges, once I had that done the rest of the bends needed just some tweeking. I have only bought EMS parts so I do not know much about the others. I bought lower rear quarter panels and the same. Most of it fit well but some of the body lines were rounded where they should have been bent sharper. The headlight panel patches were a joke. I paid more to get the better ones and they are in the scrap pile. I cut up three fenders to get enough good metal to make one. most of the parts I purchased I was happy to get and glad somebody was making parts so I don't want to throw them under the bus to far. I think they attempt to make a good part but it is as if the dies they are using are wore out or not stamping as well as needed.
I do know that the metal is a thick grade and has a galvanized coating that I think prevents rust issues long term.
I like buying from American manufacturers and would buy the same parts again from them except for the light repair panels..
That said I think you would need to expect to tweak pretty much any of the aftermarket parts.

RICH MUISE

The main issue I had with the ems lower patch panels is they were lacking the tabs for the mounting holes. Fortunatly the fender I had still had the tabs in good shape, so it was a matter of careful cutting off of the old fender. The crest area where the scoop running along the wheel well opening wasn't formed all that well, but I was able to pull it in easily as I tack welded. As wirenut said..at least we've got somebody attempting to make us parts..we'd be up the proverbial creek without them imho.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Zapato

EMS contacted this board a few months back looking for new or perfect factory fenders. They Knew then that their old patch panels weren't perfect. And wanted to improve their product. They did get a set from someone on this board. So a better product is either now or soon to be available.  If it was me I'd contact them and see if its available and if not and the wait time would fit into my build schedule, well I'd wait.

My guess the less than stellar EMS panels that are being discussed are the very ones that they are personally DRIVEN to make much better.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

4thgen57

Has anyone here used patch panels from Mac's?

RICH MUISE

Some distributors follow their part number with "ems". Mac's does not, but I suspect they are EMS, and it should be easy for them to verify that with a phone call.. I know you're new on this forumn, so I'll just mention that EMS is the best we have available at this time, short of finding rare nos parts on ebay or wherever.
There have been a bunch of posts done on repair panels here..a little using the search engine should turn up a ton of reading.

4thgen57

Thanks Rich
It looked like everyone was using EMS but had issues with them. So just wanted clarrification.

4thgen57

Another ?. Whats the difference between headlight mounting panels and behind headlight door. Big price difference! Do I need both. have not taken any parts off my car to look yet. They look the same in pics?

RICH MUISE

"Behind headlight door"...not sure what they are refering to as "door"..I would have thought it was same as headlight mounting panel. The only thing directly behind the front headlight panel is the headlight bucket, and they are not being made.
The front headlight panel quite frankly is probably the biggest problem sheet metal part being made...unless you can find a nos part, even the ems panels are a major p.i.t.a. to install, and unless you are a highly skilled metal worker, you're probably not going to get them on with a factory look. I replaced one..had to weld the seams after alot of hammer and dolly work. When I got to the second fender, I elected to just cut out the rusted portion from my old front panel and cut a piece off the new one as a patch.
I'd check the EMS site for the proper nomenclature on the patch panels. their website is in our list of links.

57 imposter

I think that technically, the headlight door is what most people refer to as the trim ring or bezel, My headlight panels are not in very good shape but after hearing all the problems with replasement panels, I am going to salvage them. The nice thing about working with steel is that rarely is a part so far gone that it can't be brought back, altho I may change my mind after reworking these

Tom S

gasman826

Many after market patch panels fit or require less work than making from scratch.  EXCEPT for the headlight repair panel.  NOS repair panel or get another fender.