News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Gas tank installation

Started by Limey57, 2015-09-11 14:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey57

Today I started to install the gas tank in the Ranchero.  Should there be a (rubber) spacer or something between the gas tank and floor?  I've tightened the straps as far as I can (until the nuts reach the ends of the threads on the mounting bolts) and the straps still seem loose and don't hold the gas tank tight enough.

As I didn't strip it down originally I'm kind of in the dark a bit here so any advice appreciated as always.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

Gary....the tanks had some kind of a matting that disintergrated over the years...when I pulled mine out there was just remnants of a matting left. I put a sheet of the rubber dynamat type stuff in between...figured it couldn't hurt.
I don't know what the Ranchero had for bolts...the passenger cars had a long bolt with a hook on the end, I guess a J bolt.? Anyway, I didn't like the way it was (or actually wasn't) gripping, so I redrilled the brackets that are welded to the underside and added a thru bolt with a sleeve, then used some 3/8 eye hooks. Worked really well.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

JimNolan

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

BWhitmore

Also, use roof tar paper as a liner on the straps - between the straps and the tank. 

Limey57

Thanks, had to Google roof tar paper because we call it something else over here, but I've got some and will fit it next week.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

BBoswell

I used dynamat like Rich for the top of the tank and for the straps I cut up an old rubber tire innertube and made strips to go between the tank and straps.

RICH MUISE

I had forgotten about the rubber strips on the straps. I had ordered new s.s. straps with the new tank, and they came with the rubber straps.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

BWhitmore

Going back a few years when I installed the tank in my Ranchero, I do not remember installing any sort of material between the tank and the body - only on the straps.  The Ranchero and wagon tanks are a completely different shape.  The top of the Ranchero/wagon tank is recessed.  I also now remember that the strap bolts at the rear are different on a Ranchero/wagon.  I hope current Ranchero owners can confirm this.

Limey57

The company I work for manufacture heat-shrink tubing (big stuff, not automotive size) so I might use that on the straps, we do an adhesive lined version that would ensure moisture can't get in afterwards.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

BBoswell

That's a great idea. I worked for a company years ago that manufactured industrial heat shrink tubing and I used it on everything . . . but it's been so long ago (and age is helping) that I'd completely forgotten about it. The industrial stuff is very durable and weather resistant. Buying it as an individual might be difficult.

Limey57

Fortunately I'm the Research & Development Manager so I'll just *cough* borrow some for testing...........
Gary

1957 Ranchero

BBoswell

I was in the graphics department and we were always needing product for photo shoots for ads and such . . . and you can imagine where it ended up after the photo session ended?

canadian_ranchero

there are small rubber blocks between the tank and the spare tire well