Did our '57's come with a light in the Glove Compartment?

Started by KYBlueOval, 2018-11-24 14:13

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

As I install, and re-install, and re-install, the dash while fitting the wipers, AC etc., I see a hole on the left side of the Glove Compartment door area of the dash, that looks like it might be for a switch for a glove compartment light. Is there such a light? I've looked through Carpenter's catalog and others and do not find a listing for such a light.
What is the answer?
Thanks,
John

JimNolan

Mine has a glove compartment light. I think it's like the backup lights though. It won't come on without the light switch activated.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

lalessi1

I have never seen one, doesn't mean much though. I looked for a spare hole in my dash, don't see one?
Lynn

KYBlueOval

Lynn, if you go to the photos I have posted, there is one that shows the dash/glove box area, and you can see the holes where the two rubber bumpers go, and below the the rubber bumper hole on the left side there is a larger hole. It is that hole that prompted my question. Looks to be the right size for a switch/light like what was used in early Mustangs.

JPotter57

I put one in mine, used one from a late 80's Thunderbird console.  It has a cool little switch, like a minature door light switch, and installed the switch in one of the bumper holes for the glove box door.  Its nice to have when its dark.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

lalessi1

Quote from: KYBlueOval on 2018-11-26 05:11
Lynn, if you go to the photos I have posted, there is one that shows the dash/glove box area, and you can see the holes where the two rubber bumpers go, and below the the rubber bumper hole on the left side there is a larger hole. It is that hole that prompted my question. Looks to be the right size for a switch/light like what was used in early Mustangs.

Very interesting, neither of my dash boards have that hole.
Lynn

JimNolan

If I'm not mistaken I think the 57 had the bulb in the end of the switch that goes in that larger hole. Best I remember.

thomasso

Neither of My Fairlane 500s had glove box lights.  Nor is there a large enough spot for the typical glove box light switch.  The assembly manual which has instructions for accessory installations has no mention of a glove box light.  I did want to install one and had several switches and bulb assys, but no way to make it look correct.  Tom.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

KYBlueOval

Well I plan to add a glove box light. Bought a FOMOCO light on FeeBay.........should be here in a day or so. What I "Plan" to do is fill the large hole on the left side of the glove box opening and make a similar hole on the right side of the glove box opening. Since adding the AC evaporator, I'll have to make up a new glove box that will be an odd shape to fit around the AC. The new box configuration will be more right sided due to the AC, so that is why I'm installing the light on the right side. Easier to  make these changes while building and before paint. The Devil is in the Details! I'll post photos when finished.

gasman826

Great details!  The details that many people notice but aren't slapped in the back of the head.  While on the light subject, I notice how dark the interior is.  By the '60s. most cars had little illuminater lights under the dash that generated a slight glow in the floor area.

rmk57

The 57 shop manual doesn't have any mention of a glove box light in the interior / instrument lighting section. I guess it could have been added later in the year as an option.

I think mine has a courtesy light on the driver side and that's about it, besides the dome light.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

OUTLAW

The 57 owners manual shows a glove compartment light blub #57...

JimNolan

Quote from: OUTLAW on 2018-11-28 13:19
The 57 owners manual shows a glove compartment light blub #57...
My 57 might be a little different also. Allot of my interior pieces were 1956 items. Rear view mirror mounting, ashtray, power steering. Next time I go out to the hanger I'll look. But best I remember the push button switch that on the lip of the left side houses the switch and light with a little male wire plug. And, I believe there was a plastic cover over the hole in the cardboard glove box. Mine was still good so it's original.