News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

292 or 312

Started by Lakeland66, 2022-11-15 11:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Lakeland66

Hi All,
Need some opinions.
My 57 500 has a tired 292 engine that runs fine but needs rebuilding. I have a set of ECZ-C heads and an a ECZ-8425-B 4 BBL manifold set aside for it. The 292 Currently has a stock 2 bbl with a freshly rebuilt automatic trans'
My question is would it better to go with a 312 or the 292 With a mild cam in either? I cruise the car mostly on the interstate.
Many Thanks in advance.

lalessi1

There is "no substitute for cubic inches"... I personally would go with the 312. A mild cam would also be in my build along with headers and a bump in compression.
Lynn

Marc

Either would be fine. The 292 block is preferred for high performance use as the main bearing webs are stronger, due the the 312 having larger main journals.

If your 292 is original, it should have ECZ-G heads on it already, which would offer better performance than the ECZ-C heads.

Make sure you know what to look for to make sure it's a 312 if you decide to look for one. Every Y-block for sale is a 312 so it pays to know what to look for when buying one.

Check out this page for more info:  Ford-Y-block

If it was my car, I'd keep the 292, use the G heads with an isky cam, and maybe a 312 crank ground down to fit a 292.

cos

I agree with Marc  Go over to y-blocksforever forum. Those fellas know EVERTHING about y-blocks engines.

mustang6984

The Fairlane I bought has a 292, and after an extensive discussion with Marc on the phone, I am keeping mine. I am also going to keep it stock, meaning use the 2bbl carb/manifold set-up. But at Marc's suggestion I bought the book in the pic, and there is a LOT of info in it on ways to get a tad more (read LOT more) UMPH out of that little 292.   :burnout:

Got it from Amazon. (FYI...I am a FE slut too...but I decided to keep this baby all stock.)
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Marc

I had a blast talking with you Hugh. That book is full of great information. You're going to enjoy that little 292 when she's all done.

Ecode70D

Quote from: mustang6984 on 2022-11-22 17:59The Fairlane I bought has a 292, and after an extensive discussion with Marc on the phone, I am keeping mine. I am also going to keep it stock, meaning use the 2bbl carb/manifold set-up. But at Marc's suggestion I bought the book in the pic, and there is a LOT of info in it on ways to get a tad more (read LOT more) UMPH out of that little 292.   :burnout:

Got it from Amazon. (FYI...I am a FE slut too...but I decided to keep this baby all stock.)

Lakeland66
 I am an FE guy also, but you made a very wise decision to keep the Y block in this one. Jay 

mustang6984

I think so...I am looking forward to getting started on the car. Have my new floor in, lights are going in, and soon the rest of the shop should be in order enough that I can begin to work on the car. New gas tank is here too.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

Y blocks are great engines, and I especially like the 15 48 63 72 firing order ( same as a flathead V8), giving that distinctive Y block sound (2 adjacent cylinders 2 and 1 fire in row).
Let's not forget that the 292 and 312, especially those built in 57 were no slouches either back in the time.
And they still make for great cruisers with plenty of get up and go in todays traffic.
I love the Y block !

Ecode70D

Back in the late 50s and early 60s, I beat a lot of cars with my stock Y Block in my 56 Ford.
I probanly was parked right next to Rich at times because we cruised the exact same drive ins in those days.

geraldchainsaw

my 57 ford has a 312 bored 40 over mild cam,    have owned the car for 10 year s or more,  don't remember,   should have had this mag about mod the eng,  and just reading the posts today found out about it,  so I ordered one,  never to late,  thanks for the  info,     jerry

Lakeland66

Hi All,
S0rry for the slow response in writing.
 Been under the weather for a bit. Have the heads off and they are ECZ-G will use them. The engine is tired and had been bored to 040, any problem boring it to 060? Next question, the engine has a 2bbl that works well, but I have a 4bbl manifold. Would it be better to stick with the 2 bbl or go with the 4bbl as I plan on going to a mild cam.
Many Thanks to all and a Happy New Year to everyone.

Marc

Generally, .060 is the limit for a 292 block. Larger than that is possible with sonic testing to ensure you don't run into problems.
Regarding the carb selection, I guess it all depends on how you plan to drive it. If you don't plan to put your foot in it very often, the 2bbl will get the job done.
However, the primary venturis of a properly sized 4-bbl will likely be smaller than those of the 2bbl, so you may find the 4bbl will give you better economy and throttle response.