News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Tremec TKX 5 speed

Started by 59meteor, 2022-12-30 09:01

Previous topic - Next topic

59meteor

Wondering if anybody here has done a Tremec TKX swap in their 57-59 yet? I am thinking about replacing the current Toploader 4 speed in my 59 with a new TKX 5 speed, to make for better freeway driving, but not really wanting to cut up the trans tunnel or floor, like I know some of the older Tremecs required. I know the TKX was made a bit more compact, but just wondering if anybody has actually installed one yet. 
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

hiball3985

There are many posts in the transmission section with plenty of info on this subject that may be helpful.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

59meteor

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2022-12-30 11:33There are many posts in the transmission section with plenty of info on this subject that may be helpful.
Unfortunately, none of those posts cover an actual installation of a Tremec TKX transmission. Tremec has a number of different 5 speeds, but some require major surgery to the transmission tunnel, and I have yet to hear from anybody that has actually installed a TKX in a 57-59 Ford car.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

mustang6984

Try Modern Driveline in Caldwell ID. Bruce Coutre is the owner. ( https://www.moderndriveline.com/ )
If there is ANY question about anything Tremec he has the answer. I knew him for several years when I was heavy into Mustangs. My son bought a conversion kit for a Tremec 5-speed for his '68 Pony. EVERYTHING he needed was in that set-up. We actually drove over and picked it up, stayed at Bruce's place in his guest house.
Tell him I told you to call. IF he does not have the answers you need...he will find them. There is n better person to go to for answers.
Hugh
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

SkylinerRon

How about a GearVendors Overdrive unit?  It is about the same price and a whole bunch easier than the tremec 5 sp changeover.

59meteor

Quote from: SkylinerRon on 2022-12-31 18:28How about a GearVendors Overdrive unit?  It is about the same price and a whole bunch easier than the tremec 5 sp changeover.
Actually, I have been thinking about a Gear Vendors as well as an option. My Toploader works well, and I like how the old external shifter transmissions shift, with a good Hurst shifter, compared to the internal rail "modern" transmissions, where the main shifter design is built in, so a fancy aftermarket shifter does not really help much,since it is just a lever that still is connected with the shifter mechanism inside the trans. A couple of strikes against the Gear Vendors, is I would think that I would need to cut up my trans tunnel /floorpan,since on a 57-59 Ford car, that area is pretty narrow and low. Also, it seems having the Gear Vendor hanging off the back of the transmission, so far from the transmission mount and crossmember may be an issue , especially when launching a stick car on slicks. And the extra length of the GV unit, will have to effect the driveshaft/ pinion angle I would think. Lastly, and a big one, is that the Gear Vendor unit is more expensive than a complete new Tremec TKX 5 speed transmission. Plus, the Toploader could be sold to help get back some of the cost, or used in another car, while the GV is added to the existing trans. Also, the TKX has both a larger input shaft and main shaft, than my Toploader, which is a 1 1/16" input/28 spline mainshaft, so the TKX SHOULD be stronger, unless I spent even more money to upgrade my Toploader to a 1 3/8" input and 31 spline mainshaft. But having driven a 2006 Mustang GT, with a factory Tremec trans, and hearing stories about the poor high RPM power shifting capabilities of other versions of Tremecs, I would hate to spend that amount of money for a TKX, and hate how it shifts at the dragstrip. I know a TKX will not shift like my old Jericos, or current G Force G101A 4 speeds, but I absolutely do NOT want to have to "granny shift" a 5 speed at the track. It would really suck if a new transmission can`t be shifted as well as a 50+ year old Toploader!

mustang6984

FYI...Bruce can supply customers with everything, from tranny to bell-housing to nuts and bolts. When he says "complete kit"...he MEANS complete.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

lalessi1

Quote from: 59meteor on 2023-01-01 14:40Actually, I have been thinking about a Gear Vendors as well as an option. My Toploader works well, and I like how the old external shifter transmissions shift, with a good Hurst shifter, compared to the internal rail "modern" transmissions, where the main shifter design is built in, so a fancy aftermarket shifter does not really help much,since it is just a lever that still is connected with the shifter mechanism inside the trans. A couple of strikes against the Gear Vendors, is I would think that I would need to cut up my trans tunnel /floorpan,since on a 57-59 Ford car, that area is pretty narrow and low. Also, it seems having the Gear Vendor hanging off the back of the transmission, so far from the transmission mount and crossmember may be an issue , especially when launching a stick car on slicks. And the extra length of the GV unit, will have to effect the driveshaft/ pinion angle I would think. Lastly, and a big one, is that the Gear Vendor unit is more expensive than a complete new Tremec TKX 5 speed transmission. Plus, the Toploader could be sold to help get back some of the cost, or used in another car, while the GV is added to the existing trans. Also, the TKX has both a larger input shaft and main shaft, than my Toploader, which is a 1 1/16" input/28 spline mainshaft, so the TKX SHOULD be stronger, unless I spent even more money to upgrade my Toploader to a 1 3/8" input and 31 spline mainshaft. But having driven a 2006 Mustang GT, with a factory Tremec trans, and hearing stories about the poor high RPM power shifting capabilities of other versions of Tremecs, I would hate to spend that amount of money for a TKX, and hate how it shifts at the dragstrip. I know a TKX will not shift like my old Jericos, or current G Force G101A 4 speeds, but I absolutely do NOT want to have to "granny shift" a 5 speed at the track. It would really suck if a new transmission can`t be shifted as well as a 50+ year old Toploader!

Rory, which TKX are you considering? The model I have been looking at (TCET-18086) has a 10 spline 1 1/16" input shaft (best I can tell) and it is my understanding the Ford models have Toploader bolt patterns too. It looks to me that the most forward shifter location would put the shifter close to where the Hurst (Comp Plus) is. My info is pretty preliminary to this point. One thing I don't like is the 1st gear ratio on the 10 spline model it is WAY to low. The Gear Vendor Overdrive does give more options for spitting gears and I do like the idea of keeping my Toploader. I actually think it might fit without tunnel surgery. I saw your post in the FE Power Forum. I have not heard of a concern with shifting ease or speed of shifting so I am interested in that as a drawback.
Lynn

59meteor

Lynn, I would be looking at a TKX with a 2.87 1rst gear, and likely a .81 5th gear. I agree, the 10 spline is only available with a 3.27 low gear, which is way to low for a big block street car. My 302s with T5s had a 3.35 1rst gear, but also about 200 ft/lbs less torque, and usually tall axle ratios. No idea why the 10 spline is only available with that ratio, when the 26 spline input has 3 different ratio combinations. And although the Ford TKX may use the wide ratio Toploader pattern, the input shaft is considerably longer, like a T5 for a FOX Mustang, so a spacer is required. Yet, they make a TKX for GMs that has the same input length as a Muncie or Super T10. Just seems odd that they don`t offer a similar TKX to fit a Toploader application without a spacer. And I think the 0.72 5th gear would be  a better choice for my application, but with the 2.87 1rst gear, only a 0.81 or 0.68 is offered. Ideally would be nice to have the 0.72. OD, with the 2.87 1rst, and a 10 spline input the correct length, but that is not offered.

suede57ford

I have the older larger TKO in my '57 Sedan with VR57 Paxton Supercharged Engine.  I had a toploader for awhile then went to the T5 which is an easy swap in a medium horsepowered '57 ford (The shifter comes out just right so no seat mods are necessary either). The T5 made it so much better to drive regularly and I do the Power Tours with it.  The issue was the T5's were not lasting as my supercharger stroker Y-Block makes a lot of horsepower and I occasionally race with slicks, so I had to upgrade to the TKO.

I went the the wide ratio TKO as that is the best choice with smaller engines.   I'm not a fan of the close ratio trans in any street or race cars. Even my 521 inch boss 429 mustang(650ft/lbs) I converted the factory toploader from original close-ratio to wide-ratio and it made it easier to drive around town and drag race.

When initially going to the TKO in my '57 I did have to dimple the tunnel a little but it was very easy (I'm a body guy, but it was really not hard) and it works awesome.

We have done several '57's with Y-Blocks, stroker Small Block, and 428 Big Blocks all with the large case  wide ratio Tremec TKO's and fitment has not been a problem.   You always have to make a custom trans mount no matter what tranny swap you do in a '57-59 Ford.

If I were to do it again I would go with the newer TKX as it is physically smaller than the old TKO case and should fit better besides being a better transmission.

If you can afford a TKX go ahead and just get it.   You will easily be able to make it fit.

57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

mustang6984

Quote from: 59meteor on 2023-01-01 19:11Lynn, I would be looking at a TKX with a 2.87 1rst gear, and likely a .81 5th gear. I agree, the 10 spline is only available with a 3.27 low gear, which is way to low for a big block street car. My 302s with T5s had a 3.35 1rst gear, but also about 200 ft/lbs less torque, and usually tall axle ratios. No idea why the 10 spline is only available with that ratio, when the 26 spline input has 3 different ratio combinations. And although the Ford TKX may use the wide ratio Toploader pattern, the input shaft is considerably longer, like a T5 for a FOX Mustang, so a spacer is required. Yet, they make a TKX for GMs that has the same input length as a Muncie or Super T10. Just seems odd that they don`t offer a similar TKX to fit a Toploader application without a spacer. And I think the 0.72 5th gear would be  a better choice for my application, but with the 2.87 1rst gear, only a 0.81 or 0.68 is offered. Ideally would be nice to have the 0.72. OD, with the 2.87 1rst, and a 10 spline input the correct length, but that is not offered.

Keeping in mind that I am TOTALLY ignorant about transmissions...TOTALLY IGNORANT...could you have one custom built to the specs you say are more to your liking? If so...Bruce has built custom transmissions before.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

lalessi1

Quote from: 59meteor on 2023-01-01 19:11Lynn, I would be looking at a TKX with a 2.87 1rst gear, and likely a .81 5th gear. I agree, the 10 spline is only available with a 3.27 low gear, which is way to low for a big block street car. My 302s with T5s had a 3.35 1rst gear, but also about 200 ft/lbs less torque, and usually tall axle ratios. No idea why the 10 spline is only available with that ratio, when the 26 spline input has 3 different ratio combinations. And although the Ford TKX may use the wide ratio Toploader pattern, the input shaft is considerably longer, like a T5 for a FOX Mustang, so a spacer is required. Yet, they make a TKX for GMs that has the same input length as a Muncie or Super T10. Just seems odd that they don`t offer a similar TKX to fit a Toploader application without a spacer. And I think the 0.72 5th gear would be  a better choice for my application, but with the 2.87 1rst gear, only a 0.81 or 0.68 is offered. Ideally would be nice to have the 0.72. OD, with the 2.87 1rst, and a 10 spline input the correct length, but that is not offered.

I will talk to Bruce per Hugh's suggestion. The truck bellhousings are deeper than the car bell housings and my car has a 12" clutch and BARELY enough room for the Tilton throwout bearing (car bellhousing) so the truck bellhousing might solve a couple of problems. I need to find out if I can get a 12" clutch disc that would fit the Tremec. I will follow this closely. I haven't completely ruled out the GV overdrive, but it is looking like it might be the more expensive route by maybe a grand or more given the possible sale of my Toploader and bellhousing...
Lynn

SkylinerRon

FYI, The TKX is a little shorter on the top by changing the shift rails and moving the lever to the drivers side. They should make one with TopLoader side levers then they would have a drop-in for all 1949 up full size Fords. I wonder if a T/L case will work with TKX internals? 5th gear is in the tailhousing.

They probably sell 10 times as many trans for GM than Ford so they will always get the options first.

Around .70 ratio overdrive seems to work well, all of B/W's use it.

Good luck,
Ron.