News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Aftermarket control arms

Started by EB338, 2008-02-27 09:26

Previous topic - Next topic

EB338

Reading over oposts here and information elsewhere I see no small mention of aftermarket suspension components such as tubular front control arms for the 57's.  Exactly what is avaialble out there?  Are these performance items or strictly stock replacement? 

rockymountaincustom

take a look at readers rides, at the 57 conv. resto mod. There is suspension out there but most of it takes some welding or modification.

rockymountaincustom

http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/hh209/rockymountaincustom/     there are some better pictures of the front suspension on this web site.

EB338

Thanks, I will take a look.  Who makes them?  Do they have a website?  Is this the only group making "bot on" stuff for the 57?  What spindles do they end up using and what brakes options does it allow? 

Are the handling and ride improvements significant or is it more a maintainability modernization? 

I figured there would be welding and fabrication involved but I wanted to explore every option before going to a mustang II IFS swap or Camaro front sub frame swap sort of thing.  I know there are at least a couple outfits that will graft current Corvette suspension onto your existing frame but I haven't explored how costly or successful that is yet. 

custom300fe

Custom 300 2dr
390 + 30
Edelbrock Heads
Ported Street Dominator, 750 DP
Crites 2" Long tube Headers
C-6
3:55 Trac-Loc

rockymountaincustom

I got my tube a-arms and sway bars from gear head cruisers. I built my own rack and pinion. The front sway bar is big and with the air ride and control arms along with that sway bar, I think it will handle really well. Gear heads also has a set of rear shackles that get rid of that flimsyrear set up the cars had in the first place. So happens I ordered one before we decided to go with the four link in the back. make you a heck of a deal.

JPotter57

Very nice looking but very pricey also.  IN the neighborhood of $1400-1500 set...They really look nice, but I will spend my money somewhere else...
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

EB338

Decent looking stuff.  Has anyone here seen or does anyone know more about their late model thunderbird IRS swap?  The write-up is a bit vague and only the one picture with everything black is hard to see detail.  Sounds like it lowers things a bit more than I would like, but I do have a complete setup under the remains of a Thunderbird SC I wouldn't mind putting to good use......... 

bagboy

Just be glad you did not buy a steering box from GEARHEADS CRUISER PRODUCTS.They may be able to make simple things,but their boxes suck.

rockymountaincustom

I was lucky and heard about the steering boxes befor I started looking for the control arms and sway bars. Sounds like there are alot of problems with the steering from gear heads. The control arms are farmed out to an old retiered guy and he takes his sweet time but the quality is very good. Well they look great, have not taken it to the allignment shop yet. Have the frame back from powder coat and suspension bolted back on. will post some more pics. soon.