News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Everybodys Favorite Power Rack

Started by dzinn1, 2008-07-19 06:42

Previous topic - Next topic

dzinn1

Like everybody else I didn't have enough money to buy the pricy one so I went about trying to copy Rick or looking at Dearborne Cclassics. After all $1595 or $995 it still more than the family budget could handle ,when I started. Having it to do over I'd bit the bullet some where on a kit.
I made the saddle Bracket then made wedges to change the angle to tip the rack back. It has to be pointed strait up or your joints will not work. Weeks turned into a summer and frustration there were plenty of nights
I just closed the garage door and let it set til I could go back fresh. I caved in and bought new Borgenson
double joint, single joint, Double D shaft and heim joint for the idler/support. It works. Drove it to Goodguys  KC 2007 from St Louis. 55 to 60 tops it was moving around, spooky. The extra heavy duty angle iron bracket that connects the original tie rods to the rack has to have " zero" tolerance or it WILL move.Another weld up and redrill. Also $50 for the 7 degree hole taper for the tie rods. PS pump was the easiest. Used the old pump,
and the reformed steel lines from the junkyard plus 1 new high presure with a high presure compression unions to connect them, also New low presure return . All these from a hydraulic specialty shop. Time and money.
It works and drive nice a low speeds. I put some Jap shocks on it 2years ago and and when it would go over dips it would rock LF to RR. Strange, the shocks have to be shot.? So I started this year with Brand New Monrore Matic Gas shocks. Yes it's better but no cigar.the the front end feels like the toe is changing and still feels funny. Present theory is the springs are letting the front end move too much. After all they are 50 years old have had spacers for 30. Thanks for listening and If you have an Idea I'll be glad to listen. Dave Z.

abe_lugo

Can you post images of your mods, I think everyone here needs to start posting more images. That would help us visualize your conversion.
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

Ford Blue blood

Get new springs.  If you want it low use Areostar front springs ($60/pr @ the Zone) (3" drop).  They fixed up the same "wobble" my buddies car had.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

bagboy

You may find my thread on Rear swaybar for 57RW helpfull.Cheap eazy fix.04 GM Tahoa [sic].I have a rack and org f. springs 351w w/aod and 4:11 a joy to drive .