News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Cavalier steering rack

Started by Wirenut, 2012-08-27 22:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Wirenut

Does anyone know what size the 92 Cavalier rack hose fittings are. I have not been able to locate any hoses to compare. The local auto supplies do not stock and need to special order. I hope to adapt from existing openings to the Ford power steering pump.

gasman826

I used a late '90s rack and I don't know if they are the same.  I made mine using high pressure AN hose and Russell and/or Aeroquip power steering adapter fittings.  Measure the hole and use a tread gauge to get the pitch.  Mine were two sizes and the larger one is the high pressure side.
I did mine several years ago and finding the part numbers would be mission impossible.  If you are still stuck and you think mine are the same as yours, I will take mine apart and get the part number.  As far as the pump end, I use Saginaw pumps and they are completely different from the Ford pumps.  Another caution is that there may not be enough clearance on the back side of the pump for AN adapters and fittings.  Your application may not be a problem but it was something that I ran into.

KidKourier

I'm using a Cavalier rack to a stock '57 Ford Eaton pump and to get the hose lengths I straightened out a couple of wire clothes hangers then went under the car and bent them to the shapes I needed from the rack to the pump,then took them to my local parts store(they make custom hydraulic hoses in the machine shop in back)and they matched the shapes/lengths.What you'll need them to do is use a 18mm and 16mm with o-rings to -6 male.If you use the early Ford/Eaton power steering pump use a -6 male fitting to 5/8-18 thread count reverse flare on pressure side of pump.You will not need to use a pressure drop valve to regulate the line pressure as the power rack works fine with these pumps.If your using elbow fittings on your lines your shop will want to know which way to clock them so their facing the right direction.The 18mm is the pressure side,16mm is non-pressured and all fittings/hoses/labor should be under a $100(so shop around on price).Hope this answers your question? KID :006: :006:

Wirenut

Thanks, I appreciate the help. I do not have metric taps so I was not sure the size. This info is exactly what I was looking for..Great information..

410ranchero

Anyone using a manual Cavalier rack? I really want to ditch the pump and leaks and hassle.

RICH MUISE

Kerby...ever get your hoses done? Kid/or Kerby....you said "16mm, 18mm to -6male".... Were you talking an adapter for the rack so a hose with -6 fittings on both ends could be used, or a hose with 6 fittings one end, and the mm fittings on the other?
LOL...I don't know why I make things so difficult for myself. Your setups sound pretty straight forward..two hoses to connect the rack to the pump....mine:
I have a remote reservoir, so I additionally have those hoses, and...
mine has a little cooling radiator, so I have to route the fluid thru that, and...
I've got to use a hydro-boost brake setup, which draws it's "power" from the steering pump, so I've got to figure out that one as well.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

wildhog

Troy, It would be no problem to use the non power Cavalier rack, the problem if finding one. None of the auto parts stores have them, they can get them rebuilt if you have a core to send in. If you had gotten here earlier I would of taken you over and showed you where we build the R&P systems, also a couple of Y-Blocks mocked up with superchargers. Tom
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

Wirenut

Rich I did get mine put together and it works very well. I ended up rebending an original pressure hose to the shape I needed and installed the adapters to cross over to the rack. I took my return line to a hydraulic shop since I had no luck at auto parts shops. They had what adapter fittings needed, the guy was very helpful spent quite a bit of time trying to get all matched up. I did use 86 mercury hoses for both just rebent with a tubing bender. The power steering is definetly the way to go. I did stay with a 86 mercury pump without any issues to date.