News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Front end too high

Started by kens65fb, 2014-02-27 19:16

Previous topic - Next topic

kens65fb

My Ranchero is at the body shop for final assembly & paint,  and we noticed that the front end sits sort of "tall".
The mods are  :  Disc brake set-up from early 70 LTD. Aerostar springs, and beefier front sway bar
The lowest part of the fender lip, sits about 1 to 1 1/2 inches above the top of the tire. What is the normal front height ??
I thought with the aerostar springs it would sit lower?? The front suspension has been completely rebuilt as well, with zero miles on the road.
Any suggestions
Ken

Frankenstein57

Is the engine and running gear all in?

kens65fb

Yes the engine is in, it is now running & drivable around the garage. All the body metal is installed except the front bumper.

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: kens65fb on 2014-02-27 19:16
The front suspension has been completely rebuilt as well, with zero miles on the road.
Any suggestions
Ken

Ken loosen up all the inner upper and lower control arm nuts, let the car "settle" for a couple of weeks with the full weight on the front suspension and "bounce" it up and down a few times during that period.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

I took you up on that suggestion just before I dropped in the engine..got to remember to put a "CONTROL ARM BUSHINGS LOOSE" note on the car so I'll remember to tighted them after the rest of the weight is bolted on.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

kens65fb

Here's a pic of the front end height, with the aerostar springs.
Ken

RICH MUISE

Also, Ken...I've been told the front ends usually drop an inch or so after driving for a few hundred miles.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

BWhitmore

Give it some time to settle with the a arm bushings loose.  It will probably settle another 1/2inch.

BWhitmore

My Ranchero dropped about 3/4inch after driving for 100 miles.  Stock 312 motor with rebuilt suspension.