News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Borgeson Power Steering Box

Started by luelui57, 2014-08-26 13:38

Previous topic - Next topic

luelui57

We are just in the process of installing the Borgeson power steering box in the 57 Ranchero.
So far we went with a 30 inch Flaming River tilt column in black powdercoat and their adapter for the Le Carra wheel using one u-joint instead of the rag joint. Looking great so far.
Still have ball joints and lower bushings   and springs to install.
The John Mummert stroker Y-block should be done shortly.
Will keep updates for those who may be interested in the setup.
Louie
57 Ranchero
Robert Pond aluminum 482 FE
Best quarter mile 11.42 117
Best eighth mile 7.29 @ 94
Street legal thru mufflers

VwDrvFnd

Very Intrested in your setup, I have a brand new one here sitting in the box waiting to be installed. The problem I am having is the correct length of steering column to use and still have enough room between the firewall and the steering box to retain a column shift(automatic AOD), and shrink the distance between the tilt wheel and shifter moving the steering wheel closer to the dash. I need all the room I can get between the wheel and the seat. I am super fat and have short stubby legs!.

Would love to see some pictures of your install progress!

Steven Heinemann
I have a rust hole in my passanger side inner fender well, It's 58 years old what do you expect?

canadian_ranchero

i am looking at putting one in.thinking of cutting down a 1958 coluum,because of the horn wire.borgeson said in there instuctions that if you use the coupler the outer tube can be longer and will have room for the shifter

John Palmer

I ordered a Borgeson conversion box last night. 

I'm sick of P.S. control hoses, and control valve leaks!  This type of P.S. design caused leak problems even when they were new.

I bought everything except the U-Joint/rag coupler.  My car has a O.E. type GM tilt steering column already installed.  The column has a factory type U-Joint with a pinch bolt that attaches it to the original 57 steering box.  Does anyone know if a stock GM U-Joint will slip onto the Borgeson shaft?  I figured I would have to wait until I can get it all apart in a few weeks to see exactly what I have for sizes.

VwDrvFnd

Do you know if your factory Steering box was modified to except the GM style joint? The Borgenson box has a 11/16"-36 spline input shaft so you will need a coupler or adapter that connects your GM style joint to it! Here the link to the adapters and couplers
http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/catalog/Couplers_Adapters-orderby_0-p-1-c-24.html

Maybe you already know all this but atleast I am trying to help!

Quote from: John Palmer on 2014-08-28 00:31
I ordered a Borgeson conversion box last night. 

I'm sick of P.S. control hoses, and control valve leaks!  This type of P.S. design caused leak problems even when they were new.

I bought everything except the U-Joint/rag coupler.  My car has a O.E. type GM tilt steering column already installed.  The column has a factory type U-Joint with a pinch bolt that attaches it to the original 57 steering box.  Does anyone know if a stock GM U-Joint will slip onto the Borgeson shaft?  I figured I would have to wait until I can get it all apart in a few weeks to see exactly what I have for sizes.
I have a rust hole in my passanger side inner fender well, It's 58 years old what do you expect?

John Palmer

Quote from: VwDrvFnd on 2014-08-29 19:42
Do you know if your factory Steering box was modified to except the GM style joint? The Borgenson box has a 11/16"-36 spline input shaft so you will need a coupler or adapter that connects your GM style joint to it! Here the link to the adapters and couplers
http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/catalog/Couplers_Adapters-orderby_0-p-1-c-24.html

Maybe you already know all this but atleast I am trying to help!
Thanks for your help.

No, I'm not sure what was, or might have been done on my car to mate the GM column and GM U-Joint to the Ford box.  I now have the new Borgeson box, their drag link P/S adapter, and hose kit for a Ford pump.  It will be a few weeks before I pull it all apart, and will measure it for the proper fit.

As a side bar, it's always amazing when I order from Summit Racing.  100% of the order was filled, I ordered it at 8PM on Tuesday night, and it was delivered to my door (400 miles away) at 8:30AM on Thursday morning.  Crazy quick service, with free freight, at a price lower than MSRP.

57tudor

Hi Guys,

I have been reading up on this topic and doing some research. Rod & Custom had an article back in February, 2009 "Power Steering Kits For Vintage And Custom Fords" and talks about a kit installed in John Robinson's 57 Wagon. Decent article but nothing about the steering shaft and column in regards to how much of the column is cut off and how long it will be after it is cut. Same with the shaft, no mention. I have a spare column and working on an idea for the shaft. Having said that, have any of you guys used your original steering column and shaft and is there a bearing that will fit inside the column at the bottom and fit the shaft. I didn't care for the column bracket that gearheads showed in the article and have an idea in mind that will be a lot nicer. I plan to go with the Borgeson box, pump, reg joint when the time comes. if anybody has any ideas about the bearing or has a number that would be great. Not sure when I will start this project but will have done my homework before I do.
Many thanks for any recommendations and advise. You guys are right about Summit Racing. They have everything in stock for less $$ and free shipping and handling. I'm in Ca. and only takes 2 days to receive an order.

Rick,
57 Tudor
:unitedstates:

lotsafords

When I performed this operation on my 55 Bird I installed a deralon (sp) busing in the column with two set screws.  Clean simple and after all it is primarily for support.

RICH MUISE

Rick.....I wasn't paying too much attention 'cause I didn't need it, but I read a thread about steering column supports and the poster had found a flanged bearing that fit inside the column and over the shaft. I don't remember if the thread was here...I think it was, as not too much '57 stuff goes on at the Hamb. Also the poster lived in Socal and he found it near his house.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe