News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

FINALLY!!! Time for my '57's!

Started by mustang6984, 2016-04-28 02:13

Previous topic - Next topic

mustang6984

LOL!!! As scary as it looks...it is VERY solid up in the air on those tires. The stacks have been moved closer together, and the front beam is actually a 4x5 beam and the rear one a 4x4. all four stacks of tires are wheels and tires and it is rock solid. NO WAY I am crawling under anything that couldn't withstand an earthquake. I share your thoughts on safety!!!

Hope to have all the metal work done by the end of February...since I don't weld, I am sort of at the mercy of the availability of the fellow who does it for me. Once that is done, I can sail along on my own pretty much. Already began some of the body work...my first time at shrinking metal...had some success...will probably go back at it over the next week...once I finish building the kitchen center island I am creating for my wife. Right now...the frame is acting as a work bench with a sheet of plywood over it so I can work on that island. Should be done by Wednesday...then back to work on the car!

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2016-12-17 22:09
Wish I had your space to work in when I separated mine. What I'm seeing is looking pretty solid. I sure hope you're gonna get something more substantial holding up that body before you get under it. Nice to see a car getting ready to be done right.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

great efforts and brave wire brush job ! Lots of solid areas on the car. Those dreaded cowl vent drain rubbers...just discussed them with Jay and they are guilty for most all 57s haven rotted out floors.
You should rethink your tailgate split. first this is the real trademark of a SD and then it is much more practical to lift heavy stuff in and out the car. that splitbone holder is just for a prop. I think the real lift springs for the gate are in spring assit units that are bolted to the upper gate hinges. maybe they are weak or broken.

mustang6984

I have given the split a lot of thought...over the years...and now...again since mentioning it on this site. I am of a mind to keep it as is...IF I can do something to fix the springs. Damn near took my arm off the other night! OUCH!
One of the other guys in the club lives about 2- 1/2 hours from me, and has a Courier...I am going to go over and see him after Christmas, need to make a template for the storage box anyhow because same kid took mine out and put seats in it from a regular station wagon. I want my storage box back.

I bet those rubber are a huge problem. LUCKILY...I have no rotten cowl. My floors went because the car spent a couple of years sitting in grass...and it grew up and did the job on part of the floor...the rest was from some kid in '68 cutting way too big a hole in the floors trying to put in a floor shift. I am going to go over the cowl with a fine tooth comb though before reassembly...hell before paint...to be sure as sure can be that everything is good. Did a set of cowls on my '69 Mustang...real PITA.

Heading to bed now...3:00 a.m. here...but thanks for the thoughts. I'll see what I can find out about the springs in the hatch above. Good call!  :icon_super:

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2016-12-18 04:41
great efforts and brave wire brush job ! Lots of solid areas on the car. Those dreaded cowl vent drain rubbers...just discussed them with Jay and they are guilty for most all 57s haven rotted out floors.
You should rethink your tailgate split. first this is the real trademark of a SD and then it is much more practical to lift heavy stuff in and out the car. that splitbone holder is just for a prop. I think the real lift springs for the gate are in spring assit units that are bolted to the upper gate hinges. maybe they are weak or broken.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

59meteor

I`m guessing that quite a few sedan deliveries had the storage boxes removed over the years. On my first 57 Ford Sedan Delivery, the boxes had been removed, and a wooden church pew crammed in. My other SD did have the boxes unmolested. The front wall running side to side, was sheet metal, about 15" tall, with a step, with flush sitting plywood lids, hinged at the sides. The bottom was just the cars (truck?) floorpan. I think they were welded into place, so I imagine that most that were removed were destroyed in the process. It would be nice if you can find a good storage box setup in a parts car, and carefully remove it.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

djfordmanjack

Hugh, since obviously somebody wanted go racing at one point and maybe they removed the boxwall and lids in favor of weight savings. maybe they also took off the rear door lift assist spring units ?

mustang6984

A church pew? LOL!!! That must have been a sight to see!
I have a friend who owns a rod shop, and they make some of the panels they use in their work...so I'll take copious pics and make a good template of the box the fellow in Normandy Park has of his car...(he told me I could make templates of anything I need...he's being a real help) then take them down to Larry and ask him to make mine. You are correct they were welded i to place, so yea...probably ruined when removed. I know where there are two Couriers in a yard in California, but he isn't going to part them out. He will sell them to someone who wants to rehab them and put them back on the road. Which is as it should be. I don't mind having mine fabricated.
The boards that sit on top were ash, I remember being told that back when I got my first one...do I'll make those myself in my shop.

Quote from: 59meteor on 2016-12-18 17:45
I`m guessing that quite a few sedan deliveries had the storage boxes removed over the years. On my first 57 Ford Sedan Delivery, the boxes had been removed, and a wooden church pew crammed in. My other SD did have the boxes unmolested. The front wall running side to side, was sheet metal, about 15" tall, with a step, with flush sitting plywood lids, hinged at the sides. The bottom was just the cars (truck?) floorpan. I think they were welded into place, so I imagine that most that were removed were destroyed in the process. It would be nice if you can find a good storage box setup in a parts car, and carefully remove it.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

mustang6984

Nope...this car wasn't raced. I have the owner history pretty well nailed. Originally was a state of Washington vehicle, assigned to the Department of Fisheries.
Sold at auction, to a young kid who pulled out the box and pout seats from either a Del Rio or a Ranch Wagon in it...and dropped a T-Bird 352 into the engine compartment along with a T-85 overdrive transmission...so that he could drive it from Olympia WA to Pullman WA for college for 4 years.
After he graduated he sold it to a carpet installer, who owned it when I first saw it. I harassed him all summer long for that car...(he bought his gas in the station I worked at)...until one day my boss told me that the guy had come in that morning before I came to work, and told him he was ready to sell. When he came in the next day, he told me he wanted to sell by Friday, and for $600. I went to the bank, and on Thursday...I owned a Courier! That was in August of '72, and I have owned it since.

As for the hinges...I did as you suggested and looked at them...they do not appear to be spring-loaded. (DAMN! That would have made things oh so much easier!) Dan Langdon (a member here) has one, and inn his pic he sent me, it shows a spring at the bottom of the arm, hooked into a catch at the bottom. If you open the pic and blow it up you'll see what it looks like. He's gone for the rest of the month for Christmas, but I will be seeing him in January...and I plan to ask him about the spring set-up...is it original or did he just innovate?

BTW...I have those back seats...if anyone wants them. They are not torn, and the frames are in excellent shape other than needing to be cleaned and painted. I am going to cut the mounts off the floor and package them up to go with the seats as well. At some time I'll list them for sale...but if someone wants them now...hey...make me an offer. Not looking to get rich, just looking to see them go to a good home.

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2016-12-18 17:49
Hugh, since obviously somebody wanted go racing at one point and maybe they removed the boxwall and lids in favor of weight savings. maybe they also took off the rear door lift assist spring units ?
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

gasman826

Mine had the same spring/arm setup.  The floor sections were plywood attached with piano hinges.  Mines previous life was a Wisconsin plumbing shop.  The doors still have the advertising.

mustang6984

You still have yours?

Quote from: gasman826 on 2016-12-19 07:45
Mine had the same spring/arm setup.  The floor sections were plywood attached with piano hinges.  Mines previous life was a Wisconsin plumbing shop.  The doors still have the advertising.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

gasman826

I've had two.  The better one is long gone.  The other too gone to save.  Hidden in the junk yard...still has a good roof.

mustang6984

Still have that spring? If so...I'd be happy to put it ot good use!  :003: Or if you are in need of something...we can swap...I have two extra grills, and I think one extra front splash pan under the grill. And of course there is that wicked cash...
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

gasman826

That spring arm was snatched up on eBay a long time ago.

mustang6984

Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

suede57ford

If you think your friend is serious about machining out some emblems, You said you had one, but if that doesn't work, I might be able to loan you a sample to use a pattern if needed.  If' he can make accurate copies I'd buy  a few sets.   I Really like look of a courier with the emblems on the fenders. 

Do you still have the factory bucket style seats?   I managed to find a nice set for mine, and then found a parts courier that had a set too.

I'm using a supercharged 312 with all factory VR57 parts in mine, so it has that Junior Gasser look.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

JPotter57

That should be killer, Pat.  Be sure to share some photos of that one, can't wait to see it.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.