News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Shopping for a Radiator

Started by slopokpete, 2022-03-18 12:47

Previous topic - Next topic

leechap46@gmail.com

How much lower for Auto City Rad to clear?

RICH MUISE

i can't remember the measurement, but IIRC, the bottom of the radiator is going to hit the head of the core support bolt anyway, so that will determine how much. As I previously suggested, use a glob of play-doh on top of the radiator cap, then close the hood slowly. I think mine showed about 3/16 clearance.

I had moved my radiator forward about an inch or so, so yours may not be as close, and your radiator may not hit the core support bolt. Enough of us guys have used the Auto City Classic radiator to know fitment is not a major issue, just be aware it is a close fit.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

59meteor

On my 59s aluminum radiator from Auto City Classic, I drilled new holes about 1/2" above the holes that were in the rad side brackets. On the bottom of the rad support, I had to grind a small portion of the core supports flange to ensure adequate clearance for the bottom tank, the amount removed was minimal. As Rich mentioned, Play Doh works great for checking for clearance between the rad cap and hood, I also used it to check for clearance for my air cleaner, piston to valves, and oil pickup screen to bottom of the oil pan.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.