News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Altenater Question

Started by alvin stadel, 2023-09-04 17:00

Previous topic - Next topic

alvin stadel

I need some help with this. This just started yesterday. When I raise or lower the top on my retractable the Alt. squeals like crazy. The only time it makes any noise is if I run the top. I can run the top up and down  off the battery and all is well, but I like to have the car running when I work the top. If a bearing is going out wouldn't it make a noise all the time, which it don't. To me the battery should be handeling the top operation, and really shouldn't be causing any extra load to the alt. The Alt is new, but in todays world that dosen't mean it can't be bad,  Any ideas. Thanks

Ford Blue blood

Check the belt.  The extra electrical load the top puts on the system will load the alternator and require more energy to keep the battery charged.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

alvin stadel

Bill, I checked the belt, it is new, has the right tention and is clean, and it fits the pullys like it should. What really bugs me is I have run the top up and down many times with out a issue. I have a friend with a 57 RHT, he still runs the original 35 amp generater and has never had a problem. J am not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to electical problems but I usually figure things out. But this one has me stumped.

gasman826

Pull the alternator and take it to one of the big box auto stores for free testing.

CobraJoe

In the old days we'd run a bar of soap over a squealing belt...
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

Tom S

Yesterday I suggested that putting a smaller pulley on the alternator might help. Today I deleted that post because a few hours later I realized that would just make things worse.

Tom S

Quote from: CobraJoe on 2023-09-06 08:21In the old days we'd run a bar of soap over a squealing belt...
Are you just joking? I can see how that would stop the squealing by making the belt slip a lot easier - and a lot more. I've always just  tightened the belt to make it stop the slipping that was makin' it squeal. They probably still make belt dressing products designed to give fan belts more grip on V-pulleys but if the belt is already adjusted to as tight as it can go I think I'd consider a new belt before using that stuff.  

CobraJoe

No sir, used to use it and it worked; it's not a substitute for improperly adjusted belts.
I'm sure there are some old timers here who have used it in the past also.
 Google it, I'm sure it will come up.
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

mustang6984

Quote from: CobraJoe on 2023-09-07 16:22No sir, used to use it and it worked; it's not a substitute for improperly adjusted belts.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
********************** :icon_super: ************************
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

alvin stadel

Well guys, I am not sure what I done, but it isn't squealing anymore. The alt. checked out ok, I cleaned the pullys, roughed up the V's with 60 grit sandpaper put it back together and the squeal is gone, I hope forever, but it may come back.  Thanks for all your input, Alvin

Tom S

Quote from: CobraJoe on 2023-09-07 16:22No sir, used to use it and it worked; it's not a substitute for improperly adjusted belts.
Well, I'm an 'old timer' & I don't think I've ever heard of doing such a thing. Obviously I'm having a hard time seeing how that could stop a belt from slipping instead of just making it worse.  :102:

Tom S

Quote from: alvin stadel on 2023-09-07 21:22Well guys, I am not sure what I done, but it isn't squealing anymore. The alt. checked out ok, I cleaned the pullys, roughed up the V's with 60 grit sandpaper put it back together and the squeal is gone, I hope forever, but it may come back.  Thanks for all your input, Alvin
You did what I'd have done but I don't think I'd have used that coarse a grit sandpaper. Assuming that you took the belt off in order to clean up the pulleys you also did what's probably the most important thing by having to re-tension the belt.