News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

57 Thunderbird wiper bezel onto Ford Car?

Started by abe_lugo, 2023-09-24 15:34

Previous topic - Next topic

abe_lugo

Does anyone know is 57 Thunderbird wiper vessels fit onto the 57 Car, or has tried it?
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

abe_lugo

I ask because the thunderbird bezels have a version like the merc with the washer nozzle embedded into the cover.

KYBlueOval

Abe,...........YES, they do fit. The body has a cut out for the tube.If you are using the baffles that mount under the cowl vent, you may have to make a small modification to the baffle on the driver's side for the plastic tube to connect to the bezel tube.
I have a pair of them on my Ranchero that I'm building. Mine came from '58 Mercury's and Edsel's.
What year(s) Thunderbirds are these used on?
John

abe_lugo

looks like 56-57 Tbird and seems to come up a lot, about 30 plus shipping for the pair on ebay also NOS one come up.  thanks for the info!
I forget about routing them though, I have see if my fat fingers fit back there if do this.

KYBlueOval

I blew up the photo in your earlier post, and if you look closely, you will see that the bezels have a screw in them, and not a nozzle. I've seen this same set up on a '58 Mercury that did not have Windshield Washers. Easily converted by removing the screw and screwing in the nozzles.
As to '55-'57 T'Birds using this style of bezel, I've don't recall seeing them. I'm not a T'Bird expert, but my recollection is the '55-'57 T'Birds have nozzles that mount in the painted cowl, and not part of the wiper bezel.
How did you "search" for these on e-bay, if you recall?
John

abe_lugo

Here are the ones I saw. They have the tube running in from under. Defiantly sprayer nozzles 

abe_lugo

The look like flat head screws but that the Vee shape to guide the spray nozzle fan effect.

KYBlueOval

Abe.........We will agree to disagree. I'll post a photo of the bezel with the nozzle, sometime today. As I stated in a earlier post, I have seen the same bezel, with the same screw on a '58 Mercury, that car did not have washers. The screw is just a plug to fill up the hole, on non-washer cars.
John
Here is the photo. Note the small hole in the screw in nozzles. The nozzles are only slightly installed in the bezel, and turned so one can see the opening where the water comes out.

Ford Blue blood

Abe, have to agree with John.  My 58 Pacer had the same bezel and screw in nozzles as pictured.  The cowl on the Pacer was identical to the 57 Ranchero.  The nozzles were APITA to get started and they are very soft!  Don't ask how I know this......
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

terry_208

It looks to me like either would do the job. Perhaps one style was factory and the other dealer installed.  Unless you are going for a 100 point restoration and both sides match, would it matter which style was used?  I believe I can see a small orifice in the slot Abe posted, and definitely in the one John posted.

I have seen chrome tubes sticking out of the small grille covering the fresh air intake. IMO the tubes look out of place.   
Terry

abe_lugo

I see that now, thanks for the big pictures!

cokefirst

I have owned several 1955-57 Thunderbirds.  I bought my first one in 1969 and still have it.  Those nozzles were nut used on the early Thunderbirds to my knowledge.  The thunderbird uses two nozzles located on the cowl, between the wipers.
1957 Skyliner
1956 Thunderbird
1955 Thunderbird
1956 Ford PU
1931 Model AA stakebed