News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Removing a little "spacer" from spring?

Started by Custom300Madman, 2012-01-30 23:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Custom300Madman

I'll post a picture in a little bit, I'm on the iPad at the moment. Has anyone had a little spacer inserted or come across a little deal on their spring before?

What's the purpose for this and I plan on running aerostar springs with the Granada spindles and 460, but just wondering best way to pull them out.

Last question would anyone be interested in those things or should I just pitch them in the trash?
1957 Ford Custom 300 Fourdoor, with factory 312 yblock

lowrider

I've run across spacers on springs that were installed to correct ride height, usually on new cars. I remember I had to install one on a new Mustang a girl bought in the early 90's. She was so upset that the front of her car leaned on one side that she was in tears. Made her happy after we put the spring shim in.

Custom300Madman

@lowrider so do you think they were installed on my car to correct worn out springs?

JPotter57

Aerostar springs may be a bit light for the 460 and C6...That combo weighs about 875 lbs unless you have a lot of aluminum engine parts.  Engine itself is about 685-715 lbs, and C6 is a heavy devil too.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Custom300Madman

Quote from: JPotter57 on 2012-01-31 11:28
Aerostar springs may be a bit light for the 460 and C6...That combo weighs about 875 lbs unless you have a lot of aluminum engine parts.  Engine itself is about 685-715 lbs, and C6 is a heavy devil too.

Yeah if I did buy anything aftermarket, I'll probably only buy an aluminum intake for the 460 for now.

Do you think I pull those spacers out the 460 should snuggle right it leaving a nice lowered stance?

lowrider

Quote from: Custom300Madman on 2012-01-31 11:27
@lowrider so do you think they were installed on my car to correct worn out springs?

Possible. Even after working on cars for 40+ years its still hard to tell sometimes what they were thinking when they've done something to a car. Spacer on only one side I'd have to say they were trying to correct ride height on that side. Spacers on both side, maybe they were just trying to raise the front end.

Custom300Madman

Spacers on both. I'll try and take pictures later.