News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Ranchero Power Steering ???

Started by kens65fb, 2009-01-09 08:51

Previous topic - Next topic

kens65fb

I just bought a 57 Ranchero, I would like to upgrade from manual to power steering. 
Included in the sale was a  extra complete power  steering set- up from a 58  (needs rebuild)
I want to stay as original as possible, so I am not interested in rack & pinion systems.
I plan to replace all steering parts anyway (rebuild box,tie rods,idler arm etc.)
I will be using this car alot, is the upgrade to power steering worth it, or is the manual steering o.k.   
Thanks
Ken

bagboy

Be very carefull whom you deal with! Stay away from GM 605 'rebuilds'.I have a rack,love it.Checkout my thread on rear sway bar 57RW.

kens65fb

Thanks for the imput.
Anyone with factory P/S think that it is an improvement over M/S
I guess my question should be-- Will I be happy with the 1957 manual steering, or will a 58 power steering set-up improve drivability ?
I only want to do this once !!.
Thanks

shopratwoody

I was happy with every one I drove with factory power steering. Thought it worked great.
Ron :004:
I hate blocksanding!

briney

Ken,

I have driven a 57 and a 58 with factory power.  They are both very good, but the 58 is better than the 57 box.  I changed my box from a manual steering to what bagboy didn't like a GM 605 box. I didn't feel like digging up the parts to go to original. I drive my car virtually every weekend and so far I have driven it about 17,000 miles with NO problem at all.

Thanks,

Patrick / Dallas TX   :unitedstates:
If it won't fit, force it.
If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.

KidKourier

I like the feel of manuel steering for regular driving (better road feel) but if you get into tight places it's a bear to turn sharp or make a U-turn without power steering,plus with manuel steering you are regulated to the stock steering wheel (18" plus) to help turn the vehicle(the smaller the steering wheel the harder it is to turn the car). KID