News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

4.6 being installed now

Started by RICH MUISE, 2012-12-03 22:34

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

I'm ordering the rest of the stuff for the fuel lines today. I ordered the Tanks Inc PA-4 fuel pump and some fittings yesterday. I'm going to run air-quipt type ss flex lines off the engine, and mount the fuel filter on the slopped portion of the firewall. I'm going with a Lincoln oem fuel filter because they are redily available at auto parts stores. I'll be picking up some adapters for the Ford type filter at Pure Choice when I go to Phoenix. The adapters allow the quick-change to a an6 fitting. Off the gas tank I'll probably run the new rubber-like hose (for the new fuels) to the hard lines. The hard lines I'm going to use 3/8 NiCopp for the supply and return with an6 fittings.
Question....What is the best way to put an6 fittings on a hard fuel line?... 37 degree flare?, compression?, other?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

SS Aeroquip flexible hose should be the Teflon lined...not the rubber lined.  The rubber lined will deteriorate and should be changed out on a 3-5 year schedule as recommended by the manufacturer.  Since I already used Teflon lined for brake, HVAC, and power steering lines, why add in another fitting and line type with less durability.  So all fuel lines are changed to Teflon.  More expensive now but cheaper later!

RICH MUISE

definetly. The teflon was also what I used on my A/C lines. The stuff I was talking about for back at the gas tank is a high pressure fuel line impervious to all the new fuel additives...I just can't remember the name of it, but it's a reinforced "rubbery" type of hose, not braided like the aeroquip I'll use up front. It's blue in color.
Speaking of blue in color...what's up with all the Earl's and areoquip type fittings that are blue and red...man those are ugly.

RICH MUISE

Most of the past few days was spent researching and in the Edison Tradition, finding out what wasn't going to work. I've decided not to try and flip the hydo booster upside down..it'll still be ugly, so not worth the effort. I did find a plastic remote reservoir from a Ford 250-350, 2003, that had two return lines, but I am going to find a stainless remote tank...maybe even a radiator overflow would work...that I can add the power steering fittings that I need. Plenty of aluminum stuff out there, but I can't weld aluminum and I suspect finding alum fittings would be difficult anyways.
Gasman...did you use the teflon lined hoses on your return lines as well? I know your not running an outside cooler or a remote reservoir, so you may not have any push-on type connections. I did find a cooler that was set up for an-6 fittings, and I guess I could do the same if I weld on new fittings to a s.s. tank. I don't know if I go with the plastic tank and it's push-on connections if I'll be able to even use the teflon hoses there.

gasman826

The fuel return lines run at a reduced pressure and would erode as fast.  The short answer is yes...my return lines are 'teflon' lined...same line, same fittings and piece of mind.

hydraulic booster is ugly but it works GREAT and clears the valve covers.  You don't have the cam overlap issues of no vacuum at idle.  If I want power brakes that work at idle, I need a huge vacuum reservoir or an electric vacuum pump.  When I added this system to my car, it was quite uncommon on custom car...not so much anymore.

Aluminum and stainless reservoirs are plentiful and can be pricey.  Steel and aluminum weld in bungs are common and cheap.  Stainless bungs are less common but you can find them.  I out source aluminum and stainless welding.  I love tools and want all of them but I have only so much room.  Unfortunately,  stainless/aluminum MIG accessories or TIG machine has not made the cut...least not yet!

Don't overlook Mustang GT for the hydraulic boost/power steering reservoir.  Your car has so much custom stuff, maybe a custom reservoir might look better than OEM plastic.  Plastic might be the cheaper and easier way to go but would be a easy upgrade later on.

RICH MUISE

quote Gary:"The fuel return lines run at a reduced pressure and would erode as fast.  The short answer is yes...my return lines are 'teflon' lined...same line, same fittings and piece of mind."
I guess I wasn't clear on my question...it was the booster/rack return lines I was inquiring about.
My teflon braided hose for the fuel lines(both ways) has been ordered and should be here today or Monday.
The Mustang reervoir is identical to the Markviii's..only one return port. I'm still looking for a stainless resevoir...haven't found one yet. I did find a few aluminum ones though. I can outsource the welding on that if I have to.
I thought mig welding stainless was the same as mild steel, only required ss wire if you also wanted the weld to be rust resistant as well.

gasman826

To clarify, I also used Teflon high pressure hose for the PS/PB return lines.  Same reasons...one product for lines and fittings.

MIG welding stainless is harder to get quality.  It does require stainless wire but also a stainless gas mix.  Thin stainless uses a different gas mix than thicker stainless.  I weld stainless exhaust with stainless wire and mild steel gas mix for non show welds.  The welds turn black.  With the exhaust 4 inches from the ground, no one sees it!

RICH MUISE

I found some banjo fittings for the hydro boost and the rack that will adapt the 16/18mm threaded holes to AN-6, and I found a cooler that has the -6 fittings as well. The banjo fittings I found at pure choice, expensive, but they'll allow me to use the -6AN straight fittings which are neater/more compact, and a lot less money than the 90 degree fittings, so overall not that much more money. I'm still looking at reservoirs to see if I can find better that what I have found, but I'll probably end up with something I can modify,or have modified, to have 2 6an inlets, and the oem style larger oulet.

canadian_ranchero

Rich what computer are you going to use?the early 93s do not have a speed limiter

RICH MUISE

I'm using an unmodified 95 Mark viii..same car I pulled the engine and tranny from. I remembered you had said that about the '93's...lol...at my age, trust me I don't think I'll ever find out what top end is on my car, so for me, it doesn't matter. I have been keeping my eyes open at the local yards for an early '93 though, I already have a '94 backup, another wouldn't hurt. I also read the early '93's had a one piece driveshaft.

gasman826

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2014-03-08 22:41
I also read the early '93's had a one piece driveshaft.

That is correct.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Ford Blue blood

Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

canadian_ranchero

when i read this post Rich,you had said you were changing to coil on plug.now that needs 8 coil drivers in the computer,the early computer uses 4 coil drivers,so i am not sure if the swap will work.maybe you know something i do not.FYI