News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

How little I know

Started by RICH MUISE, 2012-05-07 10:15

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Thanks Bill. The 16 ga./30 amp thing wasn't RF's input...it was what I had pulled off the factory schematics for the 97 mustang when I finished up the multi-function switch wiring so that it included the wiper system. Since my wiring is a few feet longer than the oem Mustang, I've already deceided to up the gage to 14 just to be on the safe side.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

Since you are using '97 Mustang stuff, you might do an internet search for a factory service manual and schematics.  I was combining a '98 Mustang GT to a '41 Ford Business Coupe.  The first thing that I did after buying the car was buy a '98 Mustang service manual.  They are old enough now that a used manual did not go for much.  Unfortunately, schematics are another purchase.  With Thunderbird, Lincoln, Galaxy, FAST EFI, Vintage Air HVAC, and others parts, I have a library of schematics for the '57.

RICH MUISE

Quote from: gasman826 on 2012-05-07 19:10
I was also concerned about the parking brake interference but you are on that.

I've been shopping harnesses and I liked the Francis concept.  Francis is the only one that offered a variety of factory harness ends.  I have a Lincoln column, T-Bird dash and interior, a little '57 Ford and a lot of aftermarket stuff.  I can choose the factory connectors to make easy installation with my factory connectors.
Here's a shot of some of the RF supplied connectors. They are the two plugged into the multi-function lever. The RF supplied wiring goes off to the left, and the wiring I added for the wiper system is the green and black on the right. There are other connectors for the column also, I will post later.

gasman826

I think the connector thing looks great.  At one time, I threaded wires into connectors but my eyes just don't cooperate anymore.  Plug-n-play sounds much better.

RICH MUISE

As I had mentioned in another post, I tried to get new connectors and the plug in terminals for the wiper motor, but I could neither find the terminals by themselves, nor the connectors without the 'wires' (8" or so) already attached. the terminals seem to be different for every connector in existence, so there are hundreds of them in catalogs, but there was no way I could tell without having them in my hand to compare which was correct. Pics just don't give a perspective of size.
P.S. two complaints so far with Ron Francis. The first being the 18.00 12v power outlets I ordered from them. Really really cheap looking..returned them and ordered Ford oem units for a 2003 Ranger.
Second complaint I ran into this morning...the channel for running wires under carpeting.They call it "grey stuff"...should call it grey crap 'cause that's what it is...really hard to work with..kinks and twists horribly when you take it out of the package. After trying to manuver it where I wanted it for about an hour..I finally ripped it out and trashed it, as soon as I realized the split coil stuff would give it just as much protection and be easier to work with.

gasman826

Those connectors sound like a pickin' trip to your favorite wrecking yard.  Take wire cutters with you.

RICH MUISE

I had the connectors....with all the wires 4" or so long. it was the terminals that go on the wire ends before they are pushed into the connectors that I couldn't find so that I could avoid having butt connectors.

RICH MUISE

quote from Bill: "Rich don't get wrapped up with the wire gauge thing.  If RF says 16 gauge.....it will be good!  Remember the fuse will blow at 30 amps...short circuit...if you have that much current with the motor running it will fail long before the wire over heats.  The 60 Ford wiper motor I used only draws 3.55 amps running and a little over 7 amps starting.  I did not check to see what the fuse size is in the car for it.  That fuse may also be used for other circuits as well."

Bill...finally getting back to this problem. The amperage the wiper motor I am using is in the same range as yours, and the only other thing the feed goes to as near as I can tell at this point is the wiper control module (variable speed, etc)..so I think I will just hook the supply up to the RF designated wiper terminal with a 10 amp fuse and see what happens down the road. I can always route the wire to a higher amp terminal is the 10 amps fuse turns out to be insufficient.
P.S. On the Mustang fuse panel schematic for the wiper motor fuse, there was some stuff I couldn't understand (looked to me like there was an internal connection between this terminal and one other) which didn't make sense to me, but may explain why the original Mustang panel used a 30 amp fuse.

Ford Blue blood

Rich you should be OK with the hook up you are using.  The 60 wiper motor has a 10 amp in line fuse (I put it there) and has run the motor with the wipers dry many times over during the testing phase.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

I had mentioned before that I had ordered the "drop down bracket" with the RF Express panel. I was trying to figure out how to keep the wires neat and tidy, yet still have enough extra wire to actually be able to pull the panel out 18" or so to make access easier. This pic is what I came up with. I used a short rubber strap...the kind used like bungee cords with the heavy ends and a hole for a hook(hook not used here.) I am utilizing the cavity in the cowl area. I attached one end of the strap with a screw and nut, and the other end I just let the screw protrude up into the cavity to act as a stud. I'll have the wires attached with a cable clamp near the panel, then run them up and over the rubber strap and back down. The wires will all be bundled after I get the wiring completed. If I ever need to drop the panel down, I only need to lift the rubber strap off the stud and let the wires down.