News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

No crank

Started by BWhitmore, 2012-08-08 19:59

Previous topic - Next topic

BWhitmore

Hi - I have just finished installing the new wiring harness on my 57 Ranchero.  The harness is from Bauer Electronics and is an excellent harness.  All of the lights work, turn signals work, but the starter will not do anything.  The starter is new and then engine turns over freely when turned by hand.  Can anyone tell me the proper way to test the solenoid?  I double checked the wiring diagram provided by Bauer Electronics and all wires are attached correctly.  Could this be an ignition swtich problem?

Any help is appreciated. 

bossguy

Did you remember a good ground cable between the engine and frame?

Ford Blue blood

Bill the easiest way is to use a screw driver between the small "start" terminal on the solinoid and the battery terminal on the solinoid.  If it clicks and the engine turns, it is good.  Next swap the two wires on the small terminals.  Try it, if still on go, swap them back.  On to the ingition switch.  Jump a wire between the 12V post and the start terminal on the ignition switch, if good, bad switch, if no go wiring issue between the ignition switch and the starter solinoid.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

BWhitmore

OK, thanks.  I will give this a try and let you know the results.  Thanks again. 

BWhitmore

Problem resolved - it was the solenoid.  Thanks.