News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Headlights and parking lights

Started by CableguyJJS3, 2013-04-08 19:29

Previous topic - Next topic

CableguyJJS3

Ok, please forgive me if this is a dumb question, but I am baffled here. I'm working on repairing all the broken and burnt wiring in my 57 Ranchero and after tracing through broken switches and broken junction blocks I have a puzzle. I have a shop manual and a wiring book, but when I wire the headlight and parking lamp circuit according to the book, I lose the parking lights when I turn on the headlights. Now I have the turn signal switch laying on the bench as I'm missing a couple of springs still, but according to the books, the parking light circuit is one wire and goes directly and only to the P terminal on the headlight switch. Is this the way these are supposed to function?? Parking lights work when the headlight switch is in the parking light step of the switch then off when you pull the switch out to headlights?? Also if anyone has a spare headlight switch, I am in need of one. And I'd be really appreciative if anyone has their dash apart and has some good pics of the headlight and ignition switch and the wires connected, mine was all kinds of torn up when I got into it, and I'm just trying to put it back to original. Thanks. Jim
Ban low performance driver's, not high performance cars.

gasman826

Working as designed.  Modern cars have the parking lights (marker lights) work with the headlights.  Parking lights were for parking. 

RICH MUISE

Jim...I should have a headlight switch. I'll throw it in the box with the harness. A pm was sent btw, if you hadn't seen it.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

As Gary said, all is good!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

CableguyJJS3

Well I certainly wouldn't have guessed that, but allrighty then. That explains why when testing on the headlight switch, power jumps from the P terminal across to the R? terminal when you pull the switch all the way out. Now a follow up question, now that I know that the front parking lights were not designed to work with the headlights on. Could I attach a jumper wire to the tail light circuit to light up the front marker lights to work with the headlights or is that to much draw on the system?? Thanks for the help with this guys, I appreciate it.  Jim

And thank you very much for the reply Rich, I sent a PM back.

Ford Blue blood

Yes...but disconnect from the "P" post and splice/connect to the rear light circuit.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

gasman826

CableguyJJS3

Works for me, thanks for the help guys.

wv 57s forever

gasman826

Cuss I can...and if a headlight fails, on coming traffic can see you're not a motorcycle.