News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

12V portable supply

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-05-20 19:27

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

I upgraded the temporary 12V power supply I was using. I was at Lowe's the other day, and they were cleearing out their 12V rechargeable drill motors. 12V are getting hard to find, and although the 18v one I had was not appearing to cause any problems, for 35 bucks I grabbed one. The drill motor kit came with one battery and a charger.
I just unscrewed the housing, unplugged the 2 wires going to the motor, removed the motor, and put it back together. The top of the housing makes a good storage place for the alligator clip leads.
These work super for checking out 12v components. The variable speed switch is great for just creeping motors along...like when I was setting up my hard arm wiper motor. I used it to check the electric radiator fan out of the Mark viii last night. Also convienient is the reverse switch..it changes polarity on the 2 wires. I could run the fan frontwards or backwards...imagine you could do the same with power windows if the switches weren't hooked up.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

BWhitmore

WOW - that was a great idea.  I am going to make one of those. 

57 Ford Kustom

Rich, whoever said " you can't teach old dogs new tricks" never met you! Lol! Tim
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

RICH MUISE

Thanks...I think (old dog? LOL)...I had asked my buddy at the resto/hot rod shop what he used for checking wiring and electrical stuff as he went along and he is the one that told me he used a drill motor battery. I got tired of fiddling with trying to keep the leads attached to the battery I was using, so I got to looking into cutting up an old drill motor I had so I could put connectors on the wires..that was when it dawned on me if I cut it up above the switch I'd also have a....a.... switch! I was really pleased when I discovered the variable and reversible facets also worked. With having the switch you don't need to keep connecting and disconnecting the wires.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe