News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

station wagon weatherstrip

Started by jwtdvm, 2014-09-22 09:20

Previous topic - Next topic

jwtdvm

I did a search last nite and it only made me have more questions---I need the wagon expert to chime in---I think the lift gate on the wagons has a seal that goes all the way around the lift?? Are they available or does anyone know a "universal type" that works?? Also is there a seal on the wagon tail gate? I have ordered a lower seal which I think just goes along the very bottom--but is there a seal that goes all the way around the gate just like the lift seal??-I have the "smaller" seal that glues to the body itself from one side up and over the upper lift hinges and back down the other side--Also think there is a bumper just above the tailgate striker plate on both sides that is "L" shaped--any ideas on that? Are there also 2 bumpers low down on the body that contact the lower part of the tail gate??

petew

Welcome to the "clear as mud" world of wagon weatherstrip.
1. Lift gate seal is Steele Rubber part # 20-1963-84 @$22.60
2. Inner body seal the goes up the side across the top and down the other side is Steele Rubber part # 70-3246-99 @ $1.70 per ft. This is I universal rubber u shaped seal that I found and it works great as a replacement . You will need 12 feet of it.
3. Lower tailgate side seals are Steele Rubber self stick universal pieces , Can't recall the number but if you go to their website you can access the catalog and shop .
4. My "L" shaped rubber pieces were in good shape so I reused them , don't think they are replaced and would most likely need to come from a donor car.
5. No bumpers that contact the lower part of the tailgate that I am aware of but I did install a pair down low to silence the lower gate hinges so that they don't rattle.

Pete

jwtdvm

Got all excited when I saw your post but it didnt get me anywhere--the 20-1963-84 is actually the one seal that I do have. They do have the universal seal 70-3246-99 but dont list any thing else specific to the 57 wagon---When I cruise the internet looking at pictures of wagons they all seem to have a seal around the lift gate which I am having trouble finding--do you know a part number for the side seals on the tail gate--again nothing comes up under 57 wagon with Steele

petew

I wasn't able to find a factory seal for the lower tailgate. There is not a seal around the lower gate . there is the seal at the bottom and then two side seals. You said you have the bottom seal so now you need the sides.
As I said Steele Rubber has a selection of "peel and stick" universal weatherstrip that will do the job for you and not look like it came from  Home Depot. If you go to the Steele Rubber website and look at the universal peel and stick I believe that it was the 83-0108-73 that I used. Looks factory and does the job.

Pete

canadian_ranchero

the lower round bumpers by the tail gate support rods on the body are the same as a 2dr door bumper 358939-s.got mine from carpenter

petew

This is what I ended up with for side seals

petew

And lower bumpers to keep the hinges quiet.

jwtdvm

Fantastic looking wagon!!!---I found the universal seal you used on the side--they will work great---lower bumpers I actually have but did not realize what they were---any photos and sources for the seal around the lift gate?-If I figure that one out I should have it--thanks so much--maybe the 20-1963-84 which the carpenter picture shows going up the sides of the body and across the top above the hinges--is that maybe the seal that goes around the lift gate???--It looks smaller in diameter than what I come across on my internet pictures of wagon detail

Raven Rider

Petew what a a beautiful looking hmm tail gate.  I know the rest of the car is just as good looking stellar looking as the tail gate.  Pete if you have just a minute could you please post up the dimensions of the top bumper that looks like a "L" mine is shot and the 4-5 donor cars I have looked at did not have one as good as yours look.  I think it will not be a problem to make a set I I knew the size.  Thanks in advance .  Jerry

petew

Here is a picture of the "lift gate rubber seal" . It is not the Steele Rubber part number that I gave you. I got mine by tripping over it on eBay last Fall. It was a new reproduction so someone is making it .
I searched through my receipts but lots of times things purchased from eBay don't come with one. If you search eBay Motors using 1957 Ford station wagon as your search criteria I'm sure one will turn up , that's how I did it.

Pete

petew

Jerry I have three pictures with a ruler included for size, may have to put them in more than one post depending on the file size.

Pete

Raven Rider

Pete that is just what I needed and so quick thanks

djfordmanjack

yes, I still don't get it. Does anybody have a clue on that tail gate seals ?
I have ordered some seal stuff from Macs and believe the lower gate seal was discontinued a year ago (when ordering they specified as not in stock, now it isn't in the list anymore). I am thinking about all those seals too and I still am puzzled. Found this topic with the search button.
Pete, your wagon seems to have the right seals on it. May I ask, is there a second seal on the rear opening posts, where the liftgate would touch the body, or is this just the u-shaped rubber you were talking about ? I have the 'liftgate' seal that you have glued to the perimeter of the lift gate.
I still don't understand how the lower gate would seal against  exhaust fumes. my gate had the old seal ALL AROUND ( sides and bottom, + the extra lower rubber lip) seams like your gate seals are only vertical.
I have been trough Mac's, C&G and Carpenter and they all have weird pictures of Delivery seals and what not. Can't find the proper lower gate seal. What do Rancheros have ? no seal at all ? Please somebody help me ! :005: :003:

hiball3985

Rancheros have no seal as far as I know, not trying to keep heat in or fumes out. Probably a good thing or my grand kids would fill the bed with water and use it for a pool  :003:

Im a bit confused about the seal.
http://lbcunited.com/earlyford2/product_info.php/cPath/148_345/products_id/9587?osCsid=bc78896cfc9e95d38090eedc082dc158
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

petew

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2014-12-20 12:08
yes, I still don't get it. Does anybody have a clue on that tail gate seals ?
I have ordered some seal stuff from Macs and believe the lower gate seal was discontinued a year ago (when ordering they specified as not in stock, now it isn't in the list anymore). I am thinking about all those seals too and I still am puzzled. Found this topic with the search button.
Pete, your wagon seems to have the right seals on it. May I ask, is there a second seal on the rear opening posts, where the liftgate would touch the body, or is this just the u-shaped rubber you were talking about ? I have the 'liftgate' seal that you have glued to the perimeter of the lift gate.
I still don't understand how the lower gate would seal against  exhaust fumes. my gate had the old seal ALL AROUND ( sides and bottom, + the extra lower rubber lip) seams like your gate seals are only vertical.
I have been trough Mac's, C&G and Carpenter and they all have weird pictures of Delivery seals and what not. Can't find the proper lower gate seal. What do Rancheros have ? no seal at all ? Please somebody help me ! :005: :003:

The U shaped rubber runs from the floor up, over the top of the opening and back down to the floor on the other side. The window lift gate has a seal that goes 360 degrees around the frame and seals to the body. The lower tailgate I sealed with a universal seal that I purchased from Steele Rubber, I believe the part # is listed in an earlier post. I did all of this based on what I could find in the various catalogs that are out there and from looking at 57 wagons and pictures of 57 wagons. The lower gate does have a lower seal but I believe I have it in the wrong place . I have it along the very bottom of the gate and from some of the other cars I have seen in pictures it should be at the top of the hinge not the bottom where I have it.
I will say that the arrangement I have has resulted in a rattle free tailgate with no exhaust smell at all.
Wagon popularity is on the rise and perhaps more of these rubber parts will be produced in the future but for now they are the redheaded step child compared to other models.

Pete