News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Anyone here own a '57 Ford Tudor Ranch Wagon?

Started by Ron, 2014-12-10 20:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron

Hi:  My '57 Ford Tudor Ranch wagon had both front fenders replaced with NOS fenders in the distance past by a previous owner and the "Ranch Wagon" scripts were not reinstalled.  I've removed the old paint and found no holes in either fender that would indicate the scripts ever existed (probably because the fenders were NOS).  I've finally found a nice set of "Ranch Wagon" scripts that I want to mount on the fenders, but I can't do much until I can get some accurate measurements and coordinates so I make sure I get them positioned correctly on the fenders.  I'm hoping that someone here can take measurements for me off their Tudor Ranch Wagon that I can use for this project.  The measurements should be fairly easy to get using the vertical reveal between the rear of the fender and the front of the door, and the horizontal reveal at the top of the fender and the edge of the hood.  The distance from these two points to the side and top of the "R" in "Ranch Wagon" should do the trick.  And of course if anyone has an actual template I could use, that would be incredible.  Thanks for any help I can get!  Ron...

gasman826

Maybe someone would make the effort to make a template and archive on this site.

OK...maybe I should make the effort.  My scripts are off.  I'll work on it.

Ron

Raven Rider

I will try to get that for you tonight.  Where did you find your scripts they are a little hard to locate?  I found a set on ebay  a while ago but they are not the best but I hope they will clean up

gasman826

Ron

Gasman:  Many thanks for the template, but now it looks like one of us has the wrong script.  Your template, if I'm reading it right, shows 6 holes for studs, but my script has only 5 with no sign of one being broken off.  For reference, my script is exactly 12" long from the widest points on each end; as to height,  from the top to the bottom of the large "W" in "Wagon" is 1 and 5/16" ( 1 5/16").  Also of interest is when I put my script on your template, the two studs in the first letter "R" line up perfectly, but none of the others come close.  And just so I'm on the same page as you, "belt line" to me means just below the window glass.  Is that what you were indicating in your diagram?  Sorry for the confusion on my end, but as you said, measure twice and drill once.  Thanks, Ron...   

gasman826

Another example of nothing is absolute at the Ford Motor Company.  I may have used the term beltline incorrectly.  The line I referenced as beltline is the crease about 6-8" below the top of the fender.  I have found that some badges require six holes and some use only five.  The second pin on the 'W' seems to be optional.  My original badges were damaged.  One missing and the other broken with only 'Ranc' still on the fender.  I have one badge and am still searching for another.  Each model year has its own style of badge.  The newer the model year the bigger/bolder the badge script style.  Within a couple of model years the badge moved to the rear quarter.  Without casting numbers, the one feature I look for is the size and the 'W' having pointed rockers (bottom of the letter).  Newer versions have rounded rockers.  I also have OEM Courier fenders.  I noticed the similarity in badge location and pin pattern.  I ran out of time to compare but I will in the near future.  As mentioned before, at Ford, there are no rules.  Look at all the different placements for mirrors and good luck if you're mounting spotlights.  Making a template for the mirrors is on my list of to-dos.  Just remember, these examples are an example of one car.  This Ranch Wagon was built in San Diego plant.

Ron

Gasman:  If you go to this website, you'll see a nice '57 Ford Tudor Ranch Wagon that sold at RM auctions in 2009 for $33k (it was out of the Nick Alexander Woodie collection).  One of the pictures is the "Ranch Wagon" script you and I have been discussing and it's identical to the script I have.  I'll be curious to hear back from you to see if your script also looks like this.  Here's the link to the wagon:

http://www.rmauctions.com/lots/lot.cfm?lot_id=381920

Ron

Raven Rider

May I muddy the waters here. The Ranch Wagon script in the link below has the same script I have on my RW and it is 12 inches long and block type of script the set of Ranch Wagon scripts I just bought on EBAY the script is 16.5 inches long and more of a cursive script.  I can send pictures to your email if you want me to. I think maybe the longer scripts would be for the rear of the car.

Ron

Raven: Is the 12 inch script you mention the same as in the link I posted a couple days ago (second message up from this one).  And is your RW a '57 Tudor Ranch Wagon, also?  Thanks, Ron

Raven Rider

Yes Ron the script on my '57 Tudor RW.  I have a complete one on my drivers front fender that is the same as in the link but the one on the passenger fender only says RanchWag.  I have a friend that says he can cast in pewter the script,  If I ever remove the complete script from the left fender I will have him try a run.

Ron

Raven Rider:  Thanks for that info.  I think it confirms that at least I have the correct script.  No rush, but when you get a chance could you measure your script and see if it's 12" long from the widest points on each end; and as to height,  from the top to the bottom of the large "W" in "Wagon" is it 1 5/16"?  Many thanks, Ron...

Raven Rider

I know it is 12" long and I think your right on the height too.

gasman826

Compared mine today.  Same as the picture referenced in a PP.  Not to beat this dead horse any more, BUT I researched the OEM Illustration and the Parts manuals.  There are two versions of the FRONT FENDER NAME PLATE...base part # 16098.  One was used on the '52 and '53 Ranch Wagons and the other on '54-'57 Ranch Wagons.  The early one is about the same size but the script style is slightly different.  Since the early version was used on only two model years, it would be the rare and not likely found.  The later version is about 12" long with a casting/engineering # BAC-5925622-A found on the backside of the 'W'.  1958 and newer Ranch Wagons used a more flowing script style, are longer, and mounted on the quarter.  Since they are quarter trim, they have their own base part number.

gasman826

Quote from: Ron on 2014-12-14 15:26
And is your RW a '57 Tudor Ranch Wagon, also?  Thanks, Ron

Am I wrong in assuming all '52-'57 Ranch Wagons are Tudor?????????  In '58 when the name plate went to the quarter, Ranch Wagons were offered in 2 or 4 door.  ...or am I just making this up??