News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Anyone here own a '57 Ford Tudor Ranch Wagon?

Started by Ron, 2014-12-10 20:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron

Gasman--As always, great info.  Here's some more input to add to this developing script mystery:  on the Tudor Ranch Wagon script that I have there is this number on the back of the R (not on back of the W as in your script):  BN-16098-D.  The real mystery to me, though, is why my script has 5 mounting studs on the back and yours has 6.  And as I said before, I have looked very closely at mine, even using a magnifying glass, and there is no sign of an additional stud that may have broken off.  My guess, for what it's worth, is that Ford had two suppliers for this same script and one of them produced script with 5 studs, and the other produced script like yours with 6 studs.  Any theories?  And in case you're wondering, the only reason I'm pursuing this bit of trivia is because I'm trying to find the correct template to use when I mark and drill the holes in my fender to mount my script.  Thanks again for taking the time to send me the info from yours.  Ron

lalessi1

Wish I could contribute. Guys don't let this go, I really find this interesting.
Lynn

hiball3985

Quote from: gasman826 on 2014-12-15 17:25
Am I wrong in assuming all '52-'57 Ranch Wagons are Tudor?????????  In '58 when the name plate went to the quarter, Ranch Wagons were offered in 2 or 4 door.  ...or am I just making this up??
Looks like the 2 doors were Ranch Wagons/Del Rio and the 4 doors were Country Sedans/Squires.
All the 58 pictures I found all the 2 doors were Ranch wagons, couldn't find a 4 door.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ron

That's good info.  All done on Google?  Ron...

Ford Blue blood

Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

hiball3985

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2014-12-15 22:32
All you will ever need to know here......

http://www.1957ford.com/asp/modellist.aspx?catmstrid=1
I've used that site many times, sometimes just to look at all the pictures. I'm surprised it is still up as there doesn't seem to be anything new posted in years. I tried to join at one time with no results..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

I have really enjoyed that site through the past few years and I appreciate the effort and love that went into it. I am thinking Mr. Gambill was responsible. I think I have seen some of his vehicles for sale here and elsewhere and I hope all is well. I also think he is a member of this forum. I hope he sees this and I would like to thank him if all my thinking isn't in left field.
Lynn

djfordmanjack

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2014-12-15 20:11
Looks like the 2 doors were Ranch Wagons/Del Rio

yes, just fyi the Del Rio had its name only on paper. there is no such thing as a Del Rio script. but the Rio (300 custom trim)has the Ranch Wagon script on the quarter panels, just below the fins, where the 4dr Country sedans would have their script.
the lower series Ranchwagon  ( with the straight side trim) has the script on the front fenders ahead of the doors.
so this is a different area with probably a different shape of the body. maybe that's the reason for two different script designs ?
my del rio had the script shaved off unfortunately so I can't be of any help with this.

djfordmanjack

here's pics of what I mean.
the rio's script looks to be gold anodized.
Don't know if this is factory og or owner customized

it looks as if the body panel (crown) radius would be much smaller on the quarter panel than on the front fender

hiball3985

I had a plan to ask my daughter to measure the script on her Del Rio but it had already been sold along with all the side moldings. She stripped all of it, and filled the holes, even the door handles before she painted it. I was SO pissed I couldn't see straight. But she had already put a Chevy engine/trans in it so it already a piece of crap with or without the trim. This is really a hard subject for me to talk about  :005: They must put something weird in the water in San Diego  :003:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ron

dj:  Is that your Del Rio?  Beautiful car!  BTW, looking closely at the script on the Del Rio's rear fender and at the script on the Tudor Ranch Wagon's front fender, I think I noticed something: All the letters appear the same except for the "R" in "Ranch."  The top of the "R" on the Del Rio script seems wider and a bit more ornate than the "R" on the Tudor Ranch Wagon script.  Do you agree?  This could explain why the "Ranch Wagon" script I have has 5 mounting studs on the back, and the "Ranch Wagon" script that Gasman has uses 6 mounting studs.  Do you happen to know how many studs there are on the script mounted on the rear fender of that nice Del Rio?  If there are 5, then there's a good chance the script I have in hand are not the ones I need for my Tudor Ranch Wagon.  And that would be a bummer because these are so hard to find. Ron...

djfordmanjack

Ron, the scripts look pretty much the same to me. the Rio in the pic isn't mine unfortunately, just took the pic for comparison. as  mentioned earlier the scripts have been shaved before on my car, but I will try to look inside the panels, stud pattern should be visible inside, I doubt that they hammer welded the holes shut. I'll look for it today.

Ron

DJ--Thanks.  That would be a big help.  Ron

dgasman

There were two emblems made from ford and my theory is the reason for the six pins on the Del Rio is because the rear fenders also are Ranchero fenders . The Ranchero uses 6 pins for their emblems and ford had to use all the holes . I have both emblems and they are the same size and the mourning pins are in the same location minus the missing pin on the W .
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

Ron

dgasman:  Wow, in two pictures it looks like you've solved the whole issue.  And the further good news is that the two scripts I have with the 5 mounting studs/pins are apparently correct for my '57 Tudor Ranch Wagon.  Many thanks to you and everyone else who got involved in this thread for taking the time to take pictures and otherwise educate me re the fenders on the Del Rio, the Tudor and the Ranchero, etc.  A huge help for me.  Now to get them mounted in the right location on my Tudor Ranch Wagon.  Ron...