News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

exhaust routing

Started by chero69gt, 2014-12-06 19:02

Previous topic - Next topic

chero69gt

Good afternoon, all. I recently reinstalled the factory trans cross member on my 57 Custom. I modified it to clear the pan on my C6. As a result, I need to have my exhaust redone. The muffler shop that I normally use told me that there is not enough room to run 2 1/2 inch pipe over the cross member and between it and the floor pan. It looks like there is plenty of room to me, and Im sure that I have seen other 57s with the exhaust run like this, so, what do you think. If you have the larger pipes like mine has, how do you rout them on your car?

Thanks,  Roger

RICH MUISE

Mine are 2 1/2 (? I'll doublecheck, they are modified Cobra off road pipes), and I ran them over the crossmember. I also have a modified oem crossmember. It's close, and I haven't gone beyond the H-pipe yet. After everything is run I'll make hangers, etc. May need some type of heat resistant pads for the floorboards/crossmember to keep them from banging. I'm going to modify the e-brake cable/lever assy to get it away from the exhaust a bit more....3rd pic, red lined
I didn't want them hanging down below the crossmember.

I just went out and looked....Mine are 2 1/2, and I measured almost 3 1/2 between the floorboard and the crossmember.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Raven Rider

Rich I wish the top side of my RW looked as good as your cars underside.  Dang that is clean.

RICH MUISE

many many many hours! Thanks. The spiders love it. Needs a good wash..4 years of shop dust and a bit of overspray in places.

chero69gt

Rich, thanks for the info and the pics. Also, I agree on the comments about the
under side of your car. It looks great! Looks better than the top of mine. lol

Roger

RICH MUISE

Rereading my first post...I should clarify..."I also have a modified crossmember". The mods I did do not change the clearance between the floorpan and the crossmember from the oem....just less road clearance because of added gussets.