News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Regular three speed to 3 speed with overdrive

Started by jwag, 2018-04-16 19:55

Previous topic - Next topic

jwag

Five or six years ago I replaced the regular three speed with a t86 with a R10 overdrive transmission in my 57 Ranchwagon (292).  It ended up being several inches  longer than the regular three speed set up and I had to turn the mount around. I did not do anything to the drive line but am thinking I should have shortened it a bit.

The clutch has never been the same since. There is some squeaking and other weird sounds being made when the clutch is depressed. I  get some shudder when engaging (starting off from a stop). I also get some vibration when I get it over 55 MPH.

I am going to remove this set up in the next month or so  all the way to the flywheel (I probably should have it resurfaced) and then put it back together and see if I can not get it right. Are there any obvious problems that need to be looked at when making the change I made? Any help would be appreciated.

junior58

So correct me if I'm reading this wrong but you fitted a transmission that was longer than the original one? Or was it just that the mount was in a different place but the overall length is the same. If the trans is longer overall and you didn't shorten the driveshaft then there is a high probability that the driveshaft is bottoming out on the end of the gearbox output shaft and forcing everything forward causing all sorts of problems such as you are experiencing. If that is the case, I'm surprised it's lasted as long as it has without something failing completely.
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

jwag

Yes, the transmission was a bit longer. I have an extra drive line in my rafters and will get it cut down and replace the one that is on it now.  I have a Ranchero just like it that I drive quite a bit.  I have not driven the wagon much over the years because I needed to get it right. It is time! I am surprised also that t has lasted as long as it has. I did have to replace the oil seal in the rear end a year ago. I am sure (now that you mention it) that the added pressure did not help the rear end either. Thanks for the information.

hiball3985

Since you are going to replace the clutch, throw out bearing and don't forget the pilot bearing. When you unbolt the drive shaft from the rear end check to see how far forward you can push it into the trans before it bottoms out.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang