went power steering using the Borgeson conversion, now need set up help.

Started by DrDragon, 2019-04-03 13:50

Previous topic - Next topic

DrDragon

Quote from: Tom S on 2019-04-22 23:33
My Borg box is mated to, unfortunately IMO, a Flaming River steering column with a u-joint. Other than the alternative of shimming the box that's probably what you need to get your column centered.
My box is as close as I want to get it to the header. A U-joint is probably what I'll need to. Do you not like the Flaming River column?

DrDragon

Descided to go with
IDITIT tilt column #1120280020
Borgeson U-joint #012564
Americanautowire Part #GM Steering Column Kit - 500428 [Because the column has GM wire block.]
I'll update whether it works or not.

Tom S

Quote from: DrDragon on 2019-04-23 06:51My box is as close as I want to get it to the header. A U-joint is probably what I'll need to. Do you not like the Flaming River column?
Flaming River column? It's just that I'd much rather have a stock '57 steering wheel with a rim blow horn ring instead of the aftermarket wheel that came on my Ranchero.
Your box is too close to the header?  What engine & headers are you running?

DrDragon

FE 390 with FPA headers.  I have about 1/8" clearance as it sits. I don't want to shim it closer.

lalessi1

This is all interesting, I have a lot of room between my Borgeson box and my FE FPA headers. My column was centered with no shims but I used a rag joint. My steering seems to center well. I did go to as much +caster (about 3 degrees) as I could get, more than factory specs. I would like more though. I wonder what makes all these differences?
Lynn

DrDragon

That's a good question lalessi1. Different motor mounts? Anyway the new set up works perfect. Except now I look at it I'm thinking I should have gotten the black instead of chrome for the column. I don't know if it's worth the hassle to exchange. Time for a beer to think on it.