What works? 1957 Custom with FE and 3 speed on the column...

Started by Ford_Crazy, 2008-08-20 17:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford_Crazy

I'm having lots of fun rounding up parts for my 1957 Ford 406 project. One problem keeps bugging me.  I'm definately going with an FE engine and my existing T85 3-speed O/D transmission on the tree.  Anyone know from experience what headers will work?  Some people say the shorty 390/406 exhaust manifolds will fit, others say I have to swap in a '58 steering box and column.  Crites says his headers won't work.  I hate to go with the flat exhaust logs (yuk!).

57 Ford Kustom

You can not go wrong with a 58 steering box they are smaller and a better design. The problem is you have to use the 58 horn contack assb. and steering wheel .

TOM :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

Jim

Quote from: 57 Ford Kustom on 2008-08-20 18:07
You can not go wrong with a 58 steering box they are smaller and a better design. The problem is you have to use the 58 horn contack assb. and steering wheel .

TOM :unitedstates:
Do you know a dependable shop be rebuild a 58 Ford steering box? Please advise ,thanks in advance Jim.

shopratwoody

All the years my car was an FE I had custom built headers. Couldn't lower the car with them. I didn't
mind cause I was racing it anyway.
Ron :004: I hate the flat manifolds!
I hate blocksanding!

Ford_Crazy

There must be someone out there who sells 57 FE manual shift headers?  I can't believe all those cars back in the day had custom made pipes...

slowford

How about Ford Powertrain Applications (FPA)?  Here is a link to there website:  http://fordpowertrain.com/FPAindex/headers1.htm

I have a set on my '58 with a 390 and an automatic.  Although my car has a '58 steering box (of course),  their website says it will fit 1955-59, so the gearbox shouldn't be an issue.  Plus there is plenty of clearance near my steering gearbox.  Per their website, they do fit stickshift cars. 

If you want, send me an e-mail at psmalley@fordpinto.com and I can send you some pictures.

Not the best pic, but here is near the gear box

KidKourier

Hooker Headers makes a set of Super Comps for the '57--'58 Ford with a standard trans,they may have some in their warehouse, if not I don't know if they'd dig out the jigs for 1 set(wouldn't hurt to call and ask!).I worked for them in the 70's and they used a '58 wagon with a 352 and 3 speed on column to tool up for the jigs to build them(employee discount-$75 a set). I ran these and the ones for a '63 Galaxie with a stick ,which fit also! on '57's with stock steering box you had to dimple the #3 tube on drivers side to fit if I remember right to clear the lower left corner of the steering box.  KID

shopratwoody

FWIW FPA is what I run with my 429. Quality is excellent.
Ron :004:
I hate blocksanding!

Ford_Crazy

I spoke with FPA and their headers sound like the answer.  I understand there are some small clearance issues from car to car, but I don't think they're anything I can't fix with my big FORD hammer...