News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

wipers

Started by Wagon57, 2014-04-17 09:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Wagon57

Would like to know how to convert vacuum wipers to electric wipers. Cheapest way possible.
Are all 57 Ford wipers, cable run?

briney

I put one of these on my Ranchero.... It worked great.

https://www.newportwipers.com/
If it won't fit, force it.
If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.

JimNolan

If you can find an original 1957 Chevy electric wiper motor you'll have a variable speed wiper plus its a bolt on component that you can use your original cable and dash knob with.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

RICH MUISE

I guess the switch for those must be actually on the wiper motor itself, otherwise I don't know why you'd need a cable..seems strange, but convienient in our case.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

jumping jack flash

You are right , Rich. The wire to the motor is hot any time the key is on, but the switch at the motor is cable controlled.

JimNolan

I knew you guys would figure it out. I don't like a different knob on the dash. Don't look right.

jumping jack flash

I forgot to mention, the attachment point for the cable, is made of a thick semi-soft plastic. They are very prone to breaking, as plastic tends to dry up and become brittle.The part is available at Echler's in their tri 5 catalog, and is only about nine dollars.

hiball3985

The plastic slide piece actuates the switch inside, three position, off/park=low=high. I bought a new one from Echlers last year, it's very well made and is a heavier duty type compared to the original.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

62galxe

chevy wiper motor

JimNolan

You deserve an atta-boy for posting the picture. Why Ford didn't adopt an electric wiper motor the same time Chevy did is beyond my thinking. It has been my understanding that wiper assembly's installed on vehicles back then were mainly an outsourced item anyway. Given the fact that all the mounting holes, basic way of actuation and being cable operated were the same.

62galxe

junior58

Trying to find a reasonably priced chevy motor and someone willing to part with one here in New Zealand proved impossible so I have ordered a Newport kit, complete with adaptor to allow use of the original knob and bezel, just waiting for it to arrive.
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

Zapato

in the PNW where we get heavy rain and wind they can't keep up. For a while the more popular and far cheaper option was to use the British (Lucas) units which by reversing the input Speedometer cable easily is made to drive our opposing wiper blades. Wrecking yards are full of Jags just waiting to donate parts.

Besides scarcity and cost of using the tri5 unit the biggest drawback is that you still have those pesky cables to deal with.

My 2 cents.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

jumping jack flash

Hey Zap,  What year and model of Jag is compatible? I looked at a few in a yard and the ones I looked at....well not a likely to fit. ...not easily anyway. I have seen a Hemi in a VW,  but it sure wasn't a bolt in. Anyway , you got me wanting to go back and look at the Jags again, and I have 2 of the brand x motors on the shelf. I want to move up to a better option myself.

Ford Blue blood

That style wiper system was used on many British Leyland products for years.  My 59 Bug Eyed Sprite had them, all the Bs and I'm pretty sure Triumphs did as well.  Compact unit, cable length would be the limiting factor on motor location.  5/16 tubing I think with a single flair, wiper transmission can be flipped to give the correct "opposite" direction.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II