News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

wipers

Started by Wagon57, 2014-04-17 09:13

Previous topic - Next topic

junior58

I ran my wiring that way as well and found it is short. Haven't mounted the switch and extension yet, just deciding whether to lengthen wires or run them through another place (haven't had a good look for an alternative route yet, tho).
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

SkylinerRon

Zap,
Vacuum wipers were still std on 60-61's
My 61 Starliner had them.

Ron.

Zapato

There you go, once again what's been touted as fact is corrected by reality. and just for further info on the subject found a place in Portland, OR that rebuilds electric wiper motors. I will be sending my 60 to them.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

JimNolan

Alright guys, you got my attention now. I went to the Newport website and saw their extension to the switch that enabled you to use your existing dash grommet and knob. I also like the washer function as my foot operated one loses prime somehow and I'm tired of setting there pumping the thing.
I would like to know these things from someone that has made the conversion.
1. Has the wiper motor got a "Park" position that is easily set.
2. Does the sweep of the wiper go too far, my 57 Chevy motor goes a little too far.
Thanks guys, Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

clusterbuster

There is no setting of the park position on the Newport wiper that I know of. The sweep is good and does not wrap way around the glass. The reps told me that they intentionally set the sweep so the blades do not wrap around too far, as there have been issues with that in the past.

junior58

The wipers have a "Park" function when you turn them off. When installing the kit, do it with the wiper arms removed and then when you test them they will park themselves when turned off. Refit the arms at that stage and you are done. The sweep is just right - not too excessive that they go all the way around the screen curve but enough that you can see clearly straight ahead. I'll take a photo of mine at full sweep and post it so you can see, may not be till the weekend though.
Steve McKnight

JimNolan

Thanks junior58. Since I drive in the rain, it'll make it a little more pleasant if I have a better windshield wiper and a washer. Thanks, Jim

junior58

Here are the photos showing the sweep from parked to full sweep (may go slightly further on full sweep when screen is wet, but you get the idea). If you wanted them to go wider, you could adjust the arms up slightly when parked, but then you would end up with them parking too far up from the base of the screen.
Steve McKnight

JimNolan

Thanks for getting the pictures for me. That looks good. Jim

rmk57

The wiper motors used in the conversion kits are based on marine wiper motors. The one I used has 2 speeds, park left or tight, adjustable sweep up to 120 degrees. I ordered the one with the shortest shaft and made my own mounting bracket.
The motors are all over the map as far as pricing, from $60-180. Depends on where there made I guess.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

junior58

Got a bit of rain when out yesterday and the sweep was a little wider when wet, maybe also added to with air assistance while driving. Was able to see perfectly.
Steve McKnight

Frankenstein57

Testing the wipers with the arms off is a must!  You could have them on wrong and drive them into the painted cowl on start up!

electricalan

True that I've seen it done...not pretty.
Returning from a long hibernation!!!