News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Whoa! did someone say HEI on a YBLOCK? Whoa!

Started by Custom300Madman, 2012-04-28 17:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Custom300Madman

What do we know about running HEI on a 312 Yblock? Is it possible, has it been done, is it worth it or totally left for the insane?
1957 Ford Custom 300 Fourdoor, with factory 312 yblock

Ford Blue blood

Petronics (SP?) is a much better choise IMHO.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

JPotter57

Dont know about HEI, but you can get a replacement distributor from NAPA, and it is the late Motorcraft style.  Then, you can pick up a Duraspark distrib from the boneyard, late model 302 is fine.  Swap the breaker plate and the reluctor wheel into the Y block distrib housing, modify the hole by cutting the top out, making a slot, then slip the harness down into the slot.  Put on either the small cap or the adapter with the large one (ugly IMO), then, either pick up an ignition module from NAPA (best ones I've found) or use an MSD-6AL box wired to the distributor.  That is the best way to get a good, reliable modern electronic ignition for the Y.  That is the route I am taking, can't afford $450 for a MSD billet distributor.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

JPotter57

By the way, a brand new, not reman, distrib at NAPA is like $50-60, so pretty affordable for new stuff.  Pull a Part has Duraspark distribs for $10 or so.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

glen b henderson

I ain't figured out what was so great about HEI in the first place, alot of the scrubs you see have them replaced by other systems. I have been helping a buddy put a 454 in a camaro and that big honking ass dist sticks out like a sore thumb.
Freedom is not Free

62galxe

Duraspark setup on a Y works great. Im using the small cap with no issues.

Ford Blue blood

A little story about HEIs and good friend who is a die hard Chevy guy constantly poking at me about my Ford powered 36 Chevy.  We all went to the Noccalula Falls Rod Run.  Bernie always leaves early, on the way home sitting under an interstate overpass is Bernie and his 350/350 34 Chevy and a couple of other guys.  Well I just had to stop, as I got out of the car donning my "Ford, the heart break of the heart beat" cap ol Bernie says "Bill I'll give you a $100 to turn around and forget you ever saw me here".  Turns out the module in the HEI had gone out, second one in three years.  The ol Duraspark in that 351-C hasn't missed a beat since 1987!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Custom300Madman

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2012-05-01 08:50
A little story about HEIs and good friend who is a die hard Chevy guy constantly poking at me about my Ford powered 36 Chevy.  We all went to the Noccalula Falls Rod Run.  Bernie always leaves early, on the way home sitting under an interstate overpass is Bernie and his 350/350 34 Chevy and a couple of other guys.  Well I just had to stop, as I got out of the car donning my "Ford, the heart break of the heart beat" cap ol Bernie says "Bill I'll give you a $100 to turn around and forget you ever saw me here".  Turns out the module in the HEI had gone out, second one in three years.  The ol Duraspark in that 351-C hasn't missed a beat since 1987!

HAHAHA! Great story!
1957 Ford Custom 300 Fourdoor, with factory 312 yblock