News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

tires

Started by geraldchainsaw, 2012-03-12 09:30

Previous topic - Next topic

geraldchainsaw

ok,   went to go for a ride the other day,  front tire was flat,  new tires.  blackstone,    filled up tire went for a ride put car back in garage,  6 hours later , flat,  checked everything,  valve, wheel & tire with soap,  no leaks,    so,  any ideas out there? thanks    jerry

Ford Blue blood

A small nail or tack will be hard to find, the leak is slow enough that it may not bubble with the soap test.  When I have those it is off to the tire store for a patch....don't even mess with them anymore.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

gasman826

If it is going flat in 6 hours, that is not a slow leak.  Pump it up to 35lbs.  Lay it flat and spray the rim, bead, and valve with a soapy solution.  The leak should bubble or at least foam.  Flip it over and do the other side.  Don't get in a hurry.  If nothing shows, find a tub, kiddie pool, wheel barrow.  Slowly turn and check.  Once you have done all this...take it to Discount Tire...they will fix it for free!!!!!!!!!!!

geraldchainsaw

ok,  all the suggestions given i have tried,   one tire place said it could be the weight being on the car,  so i have it at a place that has done some work for me, and if they can't find anything i told them to put a tube in.  can't explain whats happening,   but thanks for all the info guys,    jerry

rmk57

I had one doing the same thing, turned out it was the bead on the rim was a bit rusty. The tire guy brushed on this liquid rubber stuff around the bead, aired it up and it's been fine ever since.

Randy
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

gasman826

If you do not have a Gremlin in your garage letting the air out of your tire, then there is a leak.  I would not accept either suggestion.  Weight on the car!!!!!!!!!!!!  We would all have flat tires!!!!   Putting a tube in a tubeless tire...NOT.  As tires age, they sometimes leak right through the sidewall.  But in any case, a tire technician that can not find a 6 hour leak does not have enough experience to be working on my stuff.  Move on to another place!  If the tire is leaking through the sidewall, replace it.  It is rotten.  I how you have success at the next place you try.  If you still can't find a solution, bring it to me.  I'll find the leak or eat a lot of crow!

geraldchainsaw

gasman,    the tires are fairly new,  dated 3-11,   if u wern't so far away i would take u up on the offer,    but your probly 90 to 100 miles from me,  ,  but thanks for the offer,    jerry

gasman826

Good!  One question answered.  They should not be rotten.  But still need to check the sidewalls for leaks.  Its manufactured...**** happens.  Since they are not that old, what does the dealer have to say?  A year old tire that does not hold air and can't be fixed without putting a tube in it is a defective tire.  About the third or fourth time a service manager has to put a tech on the same tire, there is going to be a new tire or a more experienced tech.  I know that it is easy for me to sit here and take shots at fixing your tire but it just angers me so when customers don't get quality service.  You paid for a good one...not this crap!!  Don't let them get away with it.
Take care,
Gary

gasman826

Oh by the way...I used to drive in every day to work from out here.  I live near Michigan International Speedway and worked in Romulus...Ecorse and Wayne at the old Detroit Diesel Allison Plant.  I was an engineer in one of the back buildings.  Even with the long drive, it was great!

geraldchainsaw

ok just for discussion,   i'll bring up a point,  back in 57 i don't think they had radials yet?????????????,  and i'm using 57 bird wheels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,   possiblhy a bad match for the tires i'm using,   now remember i'm only thinking here.    now what was explained to me by people that have done tons of work for me on my cars,  said,  i'm using radials on old rims,  its possible that the part of tire that snaps into place with the air onto the wheel have diff angles,  tire to wheel that is,  the wheel could be at 80 degs and the tire at 90 deg,  they tried everything and found no leaks,  only leaks when tire is on car,   so now i have to watch the other 3 wheels to make sure it don't happen with them,   i should probly just use the my orig set of wheels since i didn'td have any problems with them and radials,    this is just part of life and what we have to do with the old cars,  trail and error,  till it works,      by any chance u have a firsst name?                  thanks    jerry                sorry,  should have sent this as a PM,l  but i'm not typing it over

Ford Blue blood

Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Hoosier Hurricane

Jerry:

Do the wheels have riveted or welded in centers?  How about a leak around one of the rivets?  Funny only 1 of the four tires leak.

John

gasman826

I have heard rumors that bias designed wheels are not as strong as wheels designed in the era of radial tires.  Typically, a older, bias era wheel is narrower than a newer wheel.  By putting larger radial tires on a narrow wheel would impact the beads ability to seal but only slightly.  Your last response mentioned that it only leaks when it is on the car.  Did I get that right?  If you leave the tire off the car, it does not go flat?  If this is true, there could be some sort of stress failure in the wheel (rivet area, crack...).  Change out the wheel and see if the tire still goes flat.

geraldchainsaw

John,  no rivets.    to gasman,  right, tire on car, leaks,  off car, no leaks,,     your right,  i should just change the wheel.   ok,  i think we've spent enough time on tires,    give me a couple of days and i'll let u know what happens,   thanks for all the info and help, jerry                                            

geraldchainsaw

UPDATE,        shop found alot of rust on the inner wheel,  cleaned it up, mounted and resealed tire,  I mounted on car yesterday,   just checked tire & it still has 32 lbs air in it,  think the problem has been solved,  thanks for all the help and info guys,      Jerry